SLC-150 Faults

fredm54

We have 2 SLC-150's (each with 2 expansion modules) and they have worked flawlessly for 10 years. A few weeks ago one had a CPU fault so I used PCIS software to clear the processor and load the program back in and went back to RUN mode. Then a couple days ago another CPU fault occured (I'm off that day) so someone else basically does the same thing.

The SLC-150 has an Eprom (1745-M1) that has a copy of the machine program. We just realized the first rung does not have the (864) element which is supposed to allow the eprom to fill the nvram if nvram is bad. The SLC-150 has no battery backup but I think I read somewhere the internal capacitor might maintan nvram for up to 2 weeks?

The machine power is usually turned off over the weekends so the capacitor (or maybe the eprom?) has been working fine for almost 10 years!

We don't have the handheld controller which would help in determining the fault code (I don't think PCIS will report the fault code?)

I just purchased a handheld controller, spare M1 eproms, backup batteries and spare SLC-150 and expansion racks. (production management has gotten a little worried after these 2 events!)

So, am I missing anything?

thanks!

Fred

ps: Can Rung comments be entered using PCIS? (I can enter element descriptions but can't enter rung descriptions)

fredm54 said:
...am I missing anything?
Yes. An upgrade to a ML. 🍻 If you can swing it, do it. If management is nervous enough to purchase a backup then they should be looking a little farther down the road and upgrade to a supported product.

To put in a rung comment in PCIS, place your cursor on the + character at the beginning of the rung on the left rail, then press the F9 key. A cursor will appear at the end of the rung number and you can type your comment.

|
|RUNG: 001 <---Comment starts here
|
put cursor here -->+----] [-----------------------( )---
and press F9 |
|