SLC 150 swap...

zerotact

I've got a few 1745-LP151 which are AC inputs... How hard would it be to pull these and find some LP153's that would let me start buying dc sensors?

I assume the programs would run the same...
Trying to find a better wat than buying a 110ac to dc control box for each sensor....

Whats the minimal approach to swapping these units out?

i just cokmpleted a job similar to that.

you should consider using a micrologix 1500 because
1. the slc 150 is obsolete, not to mention its costs keep going up.
2. the micrologix family is proven, and you can but 110 vac inoput cards.
3. the cost of the slc lp153, changing the wiring to dc rather than ac, the cost of the sensors, labor involved may make it
cost more than its worth.
4. if you do goto the LP153, what happens when you can't get replacement parts?

drawback of changing
you must rewrite the code and debug the software.

regards,
james

Last edited:
I've only got 5 sensors going into inputs, and they want to replace 3 of them already...
The Idea is to steer away from having to buy ac photo eyes since there are a wider selection of DC photo eyes given our application...

Re-writing the Program and installing a different PLC will result in downtime I may not be able to talk them into as well as the aditional cost.

Last edited:
I've replaced a couple of SLC150s with mircologix 1200s. Write the program ahead of time. It won't take any more time to put in an ML than it will to swap our a LP151 with and LP153.

As for additional cost, unless you already own the LP153 the ML will be cheaper. A lot cheaper. If you use a 10 point ML1000 or the ML1100 you can use the free version of Logix500 software. The ML1000 is a hundred bucks. IIRC, an 1100 is around four hundred.

What about the downtime and cost associated when that 25 year old processor fails and you can't get replacement parts for it? You're not going to find a new LP153 -- they don't exist anymore. You ~might~ find some on Ebay, but beware of their conditions.

Call Rensenhouse (your local AB rep if you're in KC) and ask them about the availability of the LP153.