SLC 5/02 and DF1 communications

gvstudent

I am currently working on a project in which I am using an Allen Bradley SLC 5/02 processor that needs to be interfaced to a PanelView 550. I am trying to establish communications between the processor, HMI, and a PC in order to program it, but have been unsuccessful thus far. If I use Advanced Interface Converter+, could I get DF1 communication through the AIC+ to the HMI's DF1 port?

Your SLC5/02 communication is DH485 protocol only.
What is the complete cat. no. of your PV550. The PV550 will also have
to be DH485 protocol to talk to your SLC. The AIC+ is not a protocol converter. Its an electrical interface.

gvstudent said:
The cat. no. for the pv550 is 2711-T5A16L1.

Well as you stated above your PV has a RS232 port with DF1 protocol. It is not going to communicate with your SLC5/02.
Your going to have to change your PV to one that supports DH485
or change your SLC to one that supports DF1.

I think you can?
You need a 1761-NETAIC+
Oh Sorry I see that you already have the AIC+.
It should work.
I have this setup.
I do have to disconnect the Micro HMI and program it directly from the laptop, but it does communicate with the PLC.
2711-M3A18-L1 [RS-232 (DF1)] >>>> 1761-NETAIC+ >>>>>1747-L524
Talk to your Local Rep., before spending any money.
Good Luck
gbradley

Last edited:
gbradley said:
I think you can?
You need a 1761-NETAIC+
Oh Sorry I see that you already have the AIC+.
It should work.
I have this setup.
I do have to disconnect the Micro HMI and program it directly from the laptop, but it does communicate with the PLC.
2711-M3A18-L1 [RS-232 (DF1)] >>>> 1761-NETAIC+ >>>>>1747-L524
Talk to your Local Rep., before spending any money.
Good Luck
gbradley

The above is true, he can program his PV550 which has DF1 protocol,with or without the AIC+. But its ( the PV550) not going to communicate with his SLC5/02 with DH485 only protocol.

Edit:
Just to add to this he can also program his SLC5/02 with his PC by using a 1747-PIC or AIC+. He will have to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver ( DH485 protocol) on his PC to do this.
He will also need a real serial port on the PC to make this work.
But after all that the SLC and PV will not talk to each other.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys. I've done a lot of digging and testing and there's not a way that the PV550 will communicate to the 5/02. A 5/03 or later, yes, but unfortunately, I don't have much of a budget that would enable me to secure that processor.

If this is just for learning you might consider a ML1000 ( ten-point)
It has free software or use your existing RSLogix500 software. It comes default with DF1 protocol. I think its about $100. Contact your local AB rep.

The posters are correct that a PanelView terminal equipped with DF1 Full Duplex protocol can't communicate directly with an SLC-5/02 controller that is equipped only with DH-485 protocol.

The two network methods are different protocols as well as having different connection and electrical signalling layers.

One way in which these two devices could be connected is with a 1747-KE module. These modules convert between DF1 Full Duplex on RS-232 to DH485 protocol and signalling.

The PanelView 550 terminal could possibly be converted to one with DH485 protocol, so that you would only have to convert between RS232 and RS485 (which is what the 1761-NET-AIC module does.) Important note: the printer and communication ports change roles if you perform that switch. That conversion isn't warrantied by A-B and probably should not be attempted by a novice user.