SLC 5/02 - Unable to go online

Hi guys, I'm working on a SLC 5/02 that is asking for a password. I've tried the old AB backdoor password, but without success. I reached out to my AB rep who said it's not feasible to bypass or to swap the EPROM into another SLC 5/02 board. I don't have a copy of the RSS file to dig through in a hex editor for the password. I'm connecting directly to the RJ45 port with AB's DH-485 adapter.

Is there anything I can do? My Google-fu has failed me here, and all the forum posts are along the lines of "We don't talk about that".

I would really like to be able to fly home before the holiday weekend instead of re-writing the entire program because the password was tribal knowledge that left when the controls guy before me quit.

I've got another SLC 5/02 getting overnighted in case I can't into the one currently in use but rewriting a whole program is going to put me days behind on getting this equipment back up and running.

I know it's a longshot but maybe someone here has dealt with this and found an answer that I am unable to find.

We don't talk about Bruno

Modern RSLogix 500 won't even transmit the old A-B universal backdoor password to the controller. That's the likely reason it won't work: the SLC-5/02 hasn't changed in decades.

I assume this is a true password issue, rather than the "OEM Lock", which would give a different message, I think with they keyword "future access". OEM Lock has a different, more-difficult workaround that can also be fully locked out if you know what you're doing.

The likely way to do this is to use the DOS-based SLC-500 uploader, then open the resulting file in RSLogix 500 and save it as *.RSS, then use a hex editor on that file. The details of that hex editor method have been documented in a handful of places on the Internet, and are alluded to in some old posts on this forum.

That upload utility is on the ordinary RA Knowledgebase ID: BF20316 | Access Levels: TechConnect. The details of how to set the DF1 driver up to work with the 1747-UIC and that utility are in another related document in the Knowledgebase.

Even though I appreciate the situation you're in, the policy of "we don't discuss it here" is strict. I will delete any posts describing in detail, or linking to, resources that do discuss it elsewhere.

PM's or e-mails, of course, are not moderated.

Last edited:
From what I've read AB has possibly nerfed the backdoor password in updates of RSLogix 500, but I'm unsure if that is the correct conclusion to draw from forum quips about it made in passing.

A-B definitely nerfed the backdoor Master Password feature. I just don't remember which version of RSLogix 500 did that: I think it's v9 and higher because that's when RSLogix 500 switched from unencrypted up-to-10-digit passwords to encrypted up-to-10-character alphanumeric passwords.

If you can upload the program and get it into *.RSS format, the hex editor method to discover the actual user password still works. We just have a policy of not detailing it here, even though some fellow on YouTube has a step-by-step video detailing how it's done.

Last edited:
I have a resolution to this, thank goodness. Sadly, for anyone else, this might not be feasible.

I was able to get my hands on an old laptop with an older version of RSLogix 500. It allowed me online via the "secret but not so secret" backdoor password.

So this tells me that AB has definitely nerfed the backdoor password on version 12, which is what I'm running.

So this tells me that AB has definitely nerfed the backdoor password on version 12, which is what I'm running.

That's odd. I have v12 on my main desktop and most used laptop and have used it successfully.

Plus Ken's statement of V9 & up struck me because every other computer I use (about 8) I have v9.0 with old EVRSI licenses I know I have used a few of them without issue too.

I haven't done any programming on a SLC5/02 for decades, so I can't speak with any authority on them.

I just had a look, and the oldest RSLogix 500 Version you can Download from Rockwell is V7.00.

So, if they did make the change to RSLogix 500 that Ken described at some point, that may be another way to go.

Stu....

That's odd. I have v12 on my main desktop and most used laptop and have used it successfully.

Plus Ken's statement of V9 & up struck me because every other computer I use (about 8) I have v9.0 with old EVRSI licenses I know I have used a few of them without issue too.

Could it possibly have something to do with what version of RSLinx is being run, as those version are different between the two laptops as well?

On mine, I'm running 12.00.01 feature version 2, with RSLinx 4.11 CPR 9

The only other difference between the two laptops that I can see is that the old laptop with V9 on it has a local licence and mine is hosted on a network server. I thought I might be in the grace window on my activation but it looks like it's phoning home and connecting to the home office server, however it doesn't show that I have an activation in use, even though I am currently using RSLogix 500.

I haven't done any programming on a SLC5/02 for decades,....

One thing is that the master password was for the whole family - 5/01, 5/02, 5/03, 5/04, 5/05. Up to FRN10 Rev C.

And the "Wipe-It" password is used on all the MicroLogic's, but they don't use the master password. Rockwell said that was because they classify the ML's as "Disposable" [Wonder if that means all the ControlLogic's are disposable?] [Or it hasn't been slipped out yet]

Last edited: