SLC 5/03 Ch 0 Communication issue.

blublocker

Hi All

Hoping someone can help out here with a communication issue with my SLC 5/03 processor's ch 0 serial connection.

I have a feeling that while experimenting with RSView just through my PC and serial cable, I have changed the configuration of channel 0 or something along those lines?

I have tried everything found and recommended on this forum and others on the web with no luck. I have tried the factory reset by disconnecting battery and shorting VBB- GND and using hyperterminal to confirm PC and processor serial ports. I couldn't get a response from my processor. I can confirm that my PC com port and null modem cable is ok (by simply linking pins 2-3 and typing into hyperterminal) My processor has a flashing FLT light with a slow flashing DH485 green light, which I understand is normal for a clean processor. Only thing is no matter what I do I cannot communicate with RSLinx. I have tried auto config with no luck and have setup port with 19200 and 1200 with no luck. I have been online with the processor in the past and gave up for a while but need to communicate now. I know and have tried with all the correct settings in RSLinx.

I am yet to try a 1747-PIC cable to try and establish comms though channel 1, and am waiting on the correct cable.

Is it possible that the serial port on my processor has failed and defaulted to ch 1 comms?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Kurt G.

See picture below for factory default settings.

Using RSLinx's "RS232 DF1 Devices" driver and a null-modem cable should get you connected.

Are you using a real serial port on your PC or a USB to serial adapter.? Not all USB to serial adapters work.

The Keyspan USA19HS is a forum favorite.

I have a feeling that while experimenting with RSView just through my PC and serial cable, I have changed the configuration of channel 0 or something along those lines?

You should not have been able to change comm port setting using RSView, RSLogix500 yes.

Is it possible that the serial port on my processor has failed and defaulted to ch 1 comms?

No.

Does the processor have a memory card? If so pull it out then reset to factory settings.

FactoryDefault.png

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am using a real serial port and the correct driver you have mentioned.

And yes I believe I made the changes on the page in your screen shot through RSLogix 500 trying to get RSView to communicate.

After doing a factory reset, I thought I wouldn't have a problem getting online, considering I had been online beforehand. Are the FLT and DH485 lights supposed to be flashing after a reset?

It has me completely baffled, do you think it is a possibility that the serial port has failed?

Thanks

Kurt.

Last edited:
Hi Mickey, sorry for confusion. No I don't have any comms at all through RSLinx. This all started after making changes to communication configuration in a 500 program, trying to establish comms with RSView. So I most likely configured ch 0 for DH485 at the time and lost communication.

I have since done a factory reset and now have a fast flashing FLT and slow flashing DH485 light. Have read somewhere that this is normal for a reset processor? And troubleshooting section states that the processor is trying to establish DH485 communication, or a possible hardware fault, so I'm a bit confused on what these lights actually mean, and whether the factory reset is successful. I have tried the procedure numerous times.

Thanks.

Well then I'm at a lose.

Check and double check your null-modem cable or test it on something else if you have one.

You might try cleaning up RSLinx.

Remove all drivers shutdown RSLinx and delete the "Harmony" files See text below.

And then add the RS232 DF1 Devices driver to connect to your defaulted processor.

Hi Mickey.

I ended up purchasing a USB to RS232 converter to try, and after reinstalling RSLinx I achieved a successful communication.

Not sure what has happened to my real serial port and why I still get feed back when testing com port in hyper terminal? But it doesn't want to work with RSLinx!

For anyone in Australia. The Digitech USB to RS232 converter from Jaycar works fine.

Thanks for help on this one.

Cheers

Kurt.

Good to hear.

It sounds like a port conflict to me. Try to find out what else is trying to use the comm port.