SLC 5/04 change to SLC 5/03

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
If I have a program in a SLC 5/04 and need to only change the processor to a SLC 5/03 What all needs to be done? My SLC 5/04 has some pins broken in the DB9 port and will not connect and for some reason I cannot get the round PS/2 port to work.

If you can get the program out of the 504, it shouldn't be a issue at all. You will just need to change the processor type in RSlogix500 and it should take care of everything for you.

Do you have any to connect using either of the DH+ ports? The top connector and the round port are both DH+.

Last edited:
The top port for some reason will not connect at all. When I go to the RSLinx and select the drive Im using (COM7) and then the autoconfigure drive button it will go through testing the baud rate and parity then eventually say failed to connect. But through the DB9 port(bottom port) on the SLC 5/04 before the pins were bent I could connect with no issues.

I was able to take the program and install it on the 5/03 but when I inserted it into the backplane I got a fault error but didnt have enough time to troubleshoot..

The round 'mini-din' port (which you called a 'PS/2 port') IS NOT RS-232. It is DH485. You cannot connect just from a standard serial port. Please read your manuals on your equipment.

I would LOVE to read the manual but since the equipment is older than me and was here before me.... and probably the dinosaurs.... there is no manual unfortunately.

Go to the AB website. Click on Literature Library. You can download all of the manuals for the SLC platform there. The SLC5/03 and 5/04 is still fully supported.

On the SLC-5/04, the round Mini-DIN8 and the 3-pin Phoenix plug are both physically in parallel and use DH+ protocol.

Although you can find a 1784-CP7 adapter that converts from 9-pin D-shell to the Mini-DIN, don't assume it's an RS-232 connection. It's not. The very old PLC-5 Classic controllers used a 9-pin D-Shell for the DH+ compatible "Peer Communication Link", so some old DH+ equipment has 9-pin D-shells.

The good news is that you won't damage anything if you plug an RS-232 cable into the CP7 and the DH+ port.

On the SLC-5/03, the top port is for a DH-485 network. It's an "RJ45" style connector that looks like Ethernet, but it is NOT ETHERNET.

It has a +24V DC pin on it and if you plug an Ethernet cable and Ethernet switch (or your laptop's Ethernet port) into it, you will smoke the connected Ethernet port.

All this stuff is prominent in the user manuals and is pretty much second nature to A-B users, but since you're coming to this from a novice standpoint I wanted to mention the first two most common errors.

Thank you very much. I was thinking the RJ45 port was actually a DH485 and could use a cable that converts USB to DH485 connection but luckily I reinstalled the SLC 5/03 and it seems to be working for now anyway. I sincerely thank you guys for everything..... I look forward to learning from all you experts!