SLC 5/05 communication problem

Lucatiel

Hi All!
At the start I have to say I am new here, so if I do something bad, just tell me ;)

I have huge problem with SLC 5/05.
After somebody downloaded empty program (only with hardware) it is impossible to connect with it using Ethernet nor RS232.
With ethernet:
I was trying to find ip with IP Scanner
I was using Wireshark
I was trying to assing new IP with BOOTP but it can't find MAC address of SLC.
I was using arp -a from cmd. It couldn't find my SLC too.
I was trying to reboot it, changing it's key position and nothing helps.

IMPORTANT:
ENET indicator is green all the time (ofc. if i plugged ethernet cable)

With RS232:
I was using laptop with USB-RS232 converter, DF1 driver (RS232 indicator is off, so it should work as DF1)
I was trying any other interfaces that could work, but I couldn't establish the connection.

I was using laptop with embedded RS232 port too, result is the same.

Any other ideas how to connect with it?

Do you know how to set up RSLinx?

Open RSLinx, and do the following:

Go to the Communications menu and Configure Drivers...

If AB_DF1-1 is not in your list, then on the drop-down list, select "RS-232 DF1 Devices", and click the "Add New" button.

If AB-DF1-1 is already in the list, then select it, and click "Configure..."

The you should select your COM Port, and either try the default settings that are there, or Click the "Auto-Configure" button.

Then click OK, then Close, and see if your PLC shows up under AB-DF1-1. Make sure the "Autobrowse" checkbox is checked.

Welcome!
Can you post the empty .rss file that was downloaded?
Zip it first. That's the rules of the sandbox. :)

Hello Bob_O!

That's it.

I have to add, I restored SLC to its defaults some minutes ago, so this program should not be loaded.

Also after that it is still not possible to connect with it.

Last edited:
Thank you!
What cable are you using when attempting serial connection?
Can you show a screen shot of your RSLinx serial config?
Do you have RSLinxEnterprize running on this machine?

Sorry for all the questions.

Edit... Not all USB to Serial converters are created equal.

Last edited:
From my laptop I am using manhattan USB-RS232 converter (it works, checked with another PC and device), then RS232 wire made for SLC 5/03.

Screen attached below.

I have only RSLinx Classic, couldn't find Enterprise

snap.PNG

You just verified that this PC, cable and RSLinx set-up worked with another PLC serial device?
Double check your com port since you are using the USB adapter.

Also, grab a screen shot of your drives config screen.

Communications -> Configure Drives

Thanks

Okay your previous screen said com 4 now this says com 3.
Which is it?
Check you device manager for com port your USB device is using.
Is this a home made serial cable?

I changed port physically, because meanwhile I tried to connect to SLC using another laptop. So COM3 is not a mistake now. Sry for that.
I am not sure if it's home made, but it works with another devices, so the problem shouldn't be here.