slc 5/05 IP address change

faehigkeit1

Hi All, we have a vacuum furnace system that has 3 slc 5/05 plc's connected to a host PC. Our IP dept. wants us to change the IP address on the host PC so that they can communicate with it. Not sure why the current IP address won't work for them.
If I figure out how to change the IP addresses on the slc 5/05 plcs's, will I have to cycle power or anything special ?
Any other concerns you may think of would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dean

I would recommend having the IT department use the current IP address. Provide us with some more information as to what else the processors are communicating with HMI's Drives, each other. I would also check the logic for any MSG instructions writing or receiving messages packets from the other processors or anything else that they communicate with.

what is the host PC used for? becareful IT likes doing patch updates. HMI ans SCADA programs don't like being toyed with. Some drives from AB don't run on XP SP3. So becareful i have spent days fixing what our IT fixed for us.

Put two NICs in the host. Keep one fixed and make it your controller network. Let IT do whatever they want with the other one. Make sure that they understand that they will be the ones called at 3:00 am over any patch they apply with a subtle reminder that production makes the money and IT personnel are money consuming overhead.

More info...the plc's don't communicate with one another. Each has a ethernet cable that goes to a hub. There is one cable from the hub that runs to the PC host. The host computer is for entering recipies and monitoring temps etc.. Each plc is responsible for two furnaces. It's like three stand alone furnaces with a common host for operator interface.

More info...the plc's don't communicate with one another. Each has a ethernet cable that goes to a hub. There is one cable from the hub that runs to the PC host. The host computer is for entering recipies and monitoring temps etc.. Each plc is responsible for two furnaces. It's like three stand alone furnaces with a common host for operator interface.

Still, this central PC needs to be able to communicate via ethernet to all three 5/05s, so changing its IP configuration could foul that up.