SLC 505 Node Address change??

mhieron

Hi. I am trying to change the node address of a SLC505 controller. We just installed a 3rd SLC505 that communicates transparently between all 3 PLC's through a serial radio. In order for the 3 radios to communicate without overwriting registers, they need their own specific node address. Any idea's?? Thanks.

I am having trouble understanding your network layout and your question.

Allen-Bradley SLC-5/05 controllers have two network ports; the Ethernet port has an IP Address, while the serial port can have several different protocols. The most common serial protocol is DF1 Full Duplex, where the "Node Address" is the DF1 node address.

The fact that you have a serial radio, or maybe a serial/Ethernet radio, complicates the possibilities.

Could you re-state the question ? Can you describe the exact make and model of serial radio ?

Are you sure you aren't trying to change the IP address? Node address would apply if you were creating a DH-485 network, but you can network the 5/05 processors over TCP/IP (Ethernet).

Are you sure you aren't trying to change the IP address? Node address would apply if you were creating a DH-485 network, but you can network the 5/05 processors over TCP/IP (Ethernet).

DF1 Half Duplex Slave
DF1 Half Duplex Master
DF1 Radio Modem
All the above can have different node addresses.

DF1 Full Duplex is point to point no node address.

Right, I forgot about DF1 half duplex.

Open the .rss file. Under the project tree, select "controller" then "Channel Configuration". Open the "Channel 0 - System" tab, select "DF1 Radio Modem" under the "DRIVER" drop-down menu and change the node address as required and click "APPLY". Download to PLC.

Last edited:
I am using Elpro 905U-D Serial Modem Radios. The radio is connected to Channel 0. I am transferring data from a Hydro Dam to the Powerhouse PLC with the same setup. We just added another PLC/Radio setup at a Rackhouse in the the middle. I need to move data to the Powerhouse from this setup as well. What I think I need to do is establish each plc on this radio network it's own node address so there are no communication conflicts.

You thought you were asking an easy question, didn't you ?

The SLC serial port has several modes of operation that are applicable to your system:

DF1 Full Duplex
DF1 Radio Modem
DF1 Half Duplex Slave
DF1 Half Duplex Master
Modbus RTU Master
Modbus RTU Slave

The Elpro Radio has several modes of operation (from their website):

Transparent mode broadcast, “multi-drop” operation.
Repeater (store and forward)
Controlled mode addressable point-to-point operation, dial-up or fixed connection.
Addressed repeater routing.

The good news is that one of these controller modes and one of these radio modes is already in use between the Powerhouse and the Hydro Dam.

I think your first step will be to figure out which mode each SLC-5/05 and each radio is configured for, and see if those can be easily expanded to allow for additional communications to the Rackhouse.