SLC 5/05 program could not be compiled!

Yes I have tried that. The times that it fails to compile seem completely random to me, and also it seems to be random rungs. That particular rung has caused the error multiple times, but I've had several other rungs do it in the past. I did change the processor the other day, and tonight is the first time I've been able to work on programming since. We've been busy with other things unfortunately.

I have a customer with a SLC 5/05 L553 with 2 13 slot racks and 6 SN scanners that are all full of IO (Drives and SLC ASB racks). After used memory passed the 22K mark we started getting the same thing. It's usually not the edit your making but a loss of communications while assembling the edit. I increased my timeout to 90 seconds and it cured it from happening for a while. But now the SLC only has about 2K free memory and my timeout is at 120 seconds. Now it takes up to 3 minutes to assemble an edit. We have finally talked them into upgrading to a Control Logix.

As they say 'Slick Are for Kids'

I have a customer with a SLC 5/05 L553 with 2 13 slot racks and 6 SN scanners that are all full of IO (Drives and SLC ASB racks). After used memory passed the 22K mark we started getting the same thing. It's usually not the edit your making but a loss of communications while assembling the edit. I increased my timeout to 90 seconds and it cured it from happening for a while. But now the SLC only has about 2K free memory and my timeout is at 120 seconds. Now it takes up to 3 minutes to assemble an edit. We have finally talked them into upgrading to a Control Logix.

As they say 'Slick Are for Kids'

Sorry I took so long to respond, but I wasn't at work for the weekend, and didn't get a chance to get around to it. Thank you for the suggestion, but you will have to forgive my ignorance. How do I set the timeout to 90 seconds? I know how to configure the CIP options, but that is actually set to 256.

Also, do any of you know what the messages in this log are telling me? I keep thinking the communication is my issue, but I really don't know what this information means. I'm hoping someones light bulb will light up when they see something.🤞🏻

PS. The IP addresses were removed because IT wanted me to, and the one ending in .18 is a MicroLogix 1400

Capture2.jpg

Attachments

• log.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
First of all, thank you to this community for existing; you can't imagine how many times you give us valuable tips and advice!!!

We had exactly the same problem with online modification; our controller (SLC 552) was pretty far to be full and the message : Program could not be compiled!.... appeared everytime. We tried every advices find here and in techconnect, but nothing worked. At this moment, the only way we found to add new rungs has been to delete some useless rungs and then, we have been able to add the new rungs.

However, we had to add more rungs and the same problem come back. Because we saw the the controller could be the problem, my colleague tried to add the rungs offline and the same problem happened, so we were pretty sure that the problem was not from the CPU. Then, he tried to add the new rungs in another ladder and BINGO, it worked!

So the question is; we knew that there is a maximum of instruction that we can use in a rung, but is it possible that there is a maximum of instructions possible in a ladder?

We use a SLC 552, we still have 3800 instructions left and our principal ladder has 1454 rungs with a lot of multiple branch with PID, CMP, SCP, RTO, etc to runs our process. It is an old factory that we add to many things since, we are in process to change the CPU in the next years.