Slc 5/05 Rio

AlanO

Hi all,
m
I'm trying to set up remote IO and am having problems talking to my remote rack, here is my setup:

Local rack (7-slot):

slot 0 - 1747-L551
slot 1 - 1746-IA16
slot 2 - 1746-OW16
slot 3 - 1747-SN
slot 4 - not used
slot 5 - not used
slot 6 - not used

Remote Rack (7-slot):
slot 0 - 1747-ASB
slot 1 - 1746-IA16
slot 2 - 1746-IA16
slot 3 - 1746-OW16
slot 4 - 1746-OW16
slot 5 - not used
slot 6 - not used

remote IO config:
logical rack 0
logical group 0
230.4k baud w/ 82ohm terminating resistors
complementary chassis
4 logical groups
1-slot addressing

scanned input words: 2
scanned output words: 2
ISR #: 0
M0 length: 32
M1 length: 32
gfile length: 3

gfile:
group 0: 1/4 rack
group 2: 1/4 rack

All of the DIP switches are set as above but I can't talk to my remote rack, the RIO adapter says AdE and the comm light is blinking green. The scanner card has a red blinking comm light and the fault light is off.

I don't know if the problem is w/ the gfile data or if i'm addressing the IO wrong in logix. I am addressing using the scanner card slot then the slot in the remote rack w/ its bit #, O:3.3/0 changes to O:3/48.

thanks for any input

AO

Its a while since I last used it and

I could be wrong but I think as you are using one slot address you should be scanning 4 input words and 4 output words to see all 4 slots of your remote rack. The way I remember Each slot uses 1 input and 1 output word of scanned data.

Get the pdf files for the scanner card and the Asb from the rockwell website reading these will help.

I going from memory, so my information may be incorrect.

I believe you need to edit your G file, and select Rack 0, Group 0 as a full rack,
uncheck everything else.

Uncheck the complimentry box.

Read the -SN and -ASB manuals for examples

This can be a very simple configuration if you change a couple settings on your -ASB and in RSLogix 500.

Set SW2-3 for Primary chassis. Complementary mode is a relic and doesn't apply to this system.

Set SW2-5,6,7,8 for six logical groups. Each slot of this chassis will be one Group, represented in SLC-500 memory as one Input word and one Output word.

In RSLogix 500 I/O configuration, set up the 1747-ASB to scan at least 6 words of I/O data. You could cut the M0 and M1 files down to 32, but I leave the settings at 3300/3300 even when I don't use block transfers.

In the G-file, configure only one device. Check only the first box (Group 0) and set that device for a data size of 3/4 Rack.

Your I/O image will be very simple. Because your 1747-SN is in Slot 3, all the I/O is addressed to Slot 3.

Remote Rack
slot 1 - 1746-IA16 I:3.0/0-15
slot 2 - 1746-IA16 I:3.1/0-15
slot 3 - 1746-OW16 O:3.2/0-15
slot 4 - 1746-OW16 O:3.3/0-15
slot 5 - empty I:3.4 or O:3.4
slot 6 - empty I:3.5 or O:3.5

The comment about Complimentary I/O needs to be addressed:

I beleive the original post was referring to the DIP switch settings on the ASB module and not the Advanced Config settings in RSLogix 500.

In the ASB user manual, it states the following:

If you are not using complementary I/O, all 1747-ASB modules
should be configured with SW2-3 in the default position. If a primary chassis is configured and no complementary chassis exists, the scanner wastes time trying to scan a complementary chassis that is not there.

The default position is the complementary position.

The problem with his configuration was with the G File setting and the "scanned input words" and "scanned output words". I probably would have left both "scanned" settings at 32 words unless memory was an issue. The G- file setting as described above by Ken would work just fine (of course!).

OG