SLC 5-1746HSCE counter card accum freeze

venkum00

Hello,
Problem:The accumlator value in the counter card freezes when my encoder wheel spins beyond 4.5K Hz. Ofcourse the rate would be 0 at that point and previous count is also 0.
My encoder is rated for 2500PPR. I am using ring config in range mode and figured out encoder spits out 5102 pulses/meter. I used 5102 as the reset value for ring to count the length in meters.

Any suggestions ? please...

Thanks,
Ven.

I would use an o-scope and look at the signal going into the HSCE2. I've run much higher speed signals into an HSCE2 than 4.5kHz. I'm suspecting you will see some serious slew on the encoder signals. Also, are the HSCE2 jumpers set to match the encoder voltage?

Keith

bernie_carlton said:
What accruacy do you REALLY need? That should help choose a lower PPR encoder.
Bernie, I am sure 2500PPR is an overkill, but we have those on several machines. The HSCE is rated to handle up to 50K Hz. I do not see a problem in that??

I am using 1746 HSCE card and YES the jumpers are in correct position. no signal issue either.

Any other suggestions??

thanks.

if you have scope, check the signal. if the encoder works on low speeds nut doesn't on high, cabling is first to be checked. i've seen so many systems where designers had treated analogs or high speed signals like regular sensor wiring... (n)