AB SLC 5/02 with 1746HSCE card

mrbj

Hi,
I have been asked to modify a machine as follows.
On site there is a SLC 5/02 plc (1996), with spare slots.
I am using RS logix 500 V5.20 software. I know its a bit old but it works.
I have been asked to add the 1746HSCE card and connect an AB 845 diff encoder.
This is to measure the distance between products coming down the line.
The current system is inaccurate.
I have been on the Rockwell site but the info is not that clear.
All I want to do is measure a number of pulses, send an internal flag to initiate an output, then reset and start all over again.
ie.. Count pulses to product1, initiate internal flag/output, reset, Count pulses to product2 etc.....
This may sound pretty simple stuff to you guys, but hey we all live and learn.
I would be grateful for any advice / guidance on the above , and if possible a bit fo ladder logic,and any other set up information that I may need.
Also from the manuals I can see where I connect the A,A-,B,B- and Z,Z- but it is not clear where I connect the +5vdc and 0Vdc comm. at the 1746HSCE card.
Any help is gratefully received.
Regards,
mrbj

First off, do you have the User Manual ?

For a counting example, pages 6-1 through 6-6 have a counting example where they go through setting up the configuration data and a ladder example. One thing to make sure off is that the addresses in the example reflect the HSCE being placed in slot 1. You will need to change the address to correspond to the slot number where you install the HSCE. Also in the example, they set up N10 to hold all the configuration data. Then run 2:1 is used to move this data into M0.

Are you able to get the counter to count?

As for wiring, there is a wiring diagram for the 1746-HSCE with a 845H differential encoder on page 3-11 and notes in Appendix C. Is that what you need? As for a power supply, I have always used an external power supply.

Thanks Imi'ike,

I now have mahual, thanks for the link.
I suppose I can use any vacant 'N' address to store the config data & send to MO, as per example shown.
I thought that the plc had a users 5v dc power supply for, but on checking, the plc psu only gives a limited 24v dc for users, the 5vdc is for the plc backplane / bus, so I'll have to gat a 5vdc psu for the encoder (AB 845H diff @5vdc).
Things are a bit clearer now.
I will be installing next week, and would be grateful of any help/advise should I run into difficulties, indeed all tips / suggestions from anyone who has installed/programmed the above will be gratefully received.
Again many thanks for the advise.
Regards,
mrbj.