SLC 500 CPU 5/02 Fault and Recovery

Cody Anderson

Hello everyone,

I got called down to a plant to service a powdered metal press. It has an SLC 500 5/02 CPU that was faulted for the code 0002h "Unexpected hardware watchdog timeout or an ASIC reset occurred". Nothing I haven't seen before, was expecting this to be and easy fix. I got connected through rslogix 500 and I wasn't able to upload the program, it was lost or corrupted. This was the first time working on this press so I did not have a copy of the program. I asked the company for a copy and they gave me something I have never seen or heard of before. It was a program for a different software ran on windows XP and it was called "Level Two Configurator". I was able to work my way through the menu to configure my download baud rate and tried to download, but I could not get it to download to the processor. Has anyone ever used this software before?

The cable I was using was an RH485 to USB convertor cable. And the company said it was the same cable the guy used to use so I don't think thats my problem. But I was able to connect to it with Rslogix 500 and reset the fault and even download a black program to it to try different channel configurations and stuff, but nothing seemed to work.

Also, trying to just write a new program would not be as easy as it sounds. They did not have any electrical drawings and the software that is being used isn't ladder logic. I wouldn't be able to just copy it. Maybe there is a way to convert these files but I doubt it because when I even try to research level two configurator online I don't find anything about it.

The guy that used to service this press ended up moving to a different company. The company he was with while servicing the press said that he took the software with him and it was his. I tried to contact the guy but he never got back to me unfortunately.

Well, that's quite a story.

The only non-AB software I am aware of for the SLC family was AI-500 from ICOM, which of course was bought by Rockwell Software in the 1990s. And it was definitely ladder logic.

I've seen non-Rockwell downloader utilities; I learned not to say "that's impossible" when I was asked to use an Apple II to download a program into a PLC-2/05, which was briefly a thing in 1984.

It would be very interesting to get screenshots or photos of this software and its interface. And I would be very pleased to hear from PLCTalk forum members who have used that software too.

But in terms of support and use, you're either going to be relying on good luck or proposing a full re-control of the machine. And of course a powdered metal press old enough to use an SLC-5/02 is going to need a whole new safety assessment. If you're not in the powdered metal press business, you should pass on the opportunity.

Here is a screen shot of the main menu on the program. But yeah I am not sure what else to do honestly haha. Might tell them to look into upgrading it if no ideas come up.

Level2Config.PNG

After a bit of googling I found this:

https://www.artisantg.com/info/Tota...ectrosystems_9650_D_Manual_20141230135851.pdf

It appears to be a manual for a 9650/7650 mini protocol converter.

From page 14:

Programming the "Mini" Protocol Converter
The "Mini" Protocol Converter may be programmed using one of
Cincinnati/DynaComp's configuration software packages.Information
regarding the transfer of data between the target PLC and the
Cincinnati/DynaComp device is entered and downloaded into the
Protocol Converter. The 9650 is configured with Level Two or TSP 4.
The 7650 is configured with TVC 2.0 or TSP 4.

Using the "Mini" Protocol Converter
After being programmed, the "Mini" Protocol Converter acts as a
translator between a Cincinnati/DynaComp device and the PLC.A
wide variety of PLCs are supported as well as Cincinnati/- DynaComp
serial devices"

So it appears that Cincinnati Dynacomp used to make some sort of protocol converter device that you would use "Level two" software to program so that it could communicate with all types of PLCs. I think it would assist whatever type of devices Cincinnati/Dynacomp made (7 segment displays connected to PLCs?)

So I think they have confused things a bit and given you the software to program one of these other devices made by Dynacomp.

Last edited:
That's a helluva find !

It *looks* like AI-2, but that's probably a coincidence of the DOS era.

I agree that it's most likely that the "Level 2 Configurator" is a tool for an interface device related to an HMI device, not for the SLC-5/02 itself.

Again, my general advice is that if you're in the systems integration / PLC troubleshooting business and not in the metalforming business, you should pass on proposing a control upgrade. Safety assessments for metalworking machinery are not for folks whose skills are elsewhere.

Last edited:
Eeprom 1747-M1 or M2

Is there a chance there is an EEProm on the PLC. Program could be transferred to a different 5/02 by moving the EEprom.

i would go back to the company and tell them you need something ending in the right filetype. A lot of times when I go somewhere, the guys who are telling me where the equipment is and sending me files don't know what they are looking at, they just knows where the folder is at with the files (or the literal folder is at, in the filing cabinet with the floppy or compactflash.... no more binders full of compactflash cards holding backups!!!)

But they don't know .rss, .apa, .mer, .sed, .acd....... might as well be speaking japanese to a guy in south africa at that point.