Slc 500 cpu 5/05 don't communicate

marlonhiram12

Hello, first of all, I want to say thanks to everyone who is seeing this post.
I have a problem with an SLC 500 5/05 processor. I need to download a program, you guys know that this processor has two channels:
- Channel 0 is for RS-232 Serial Communication.
- Channel 1 is for Ethernet Communication
I'm trying to communicate through RS-232 channel but my RSLINX doesn't see the processor. I click "Auto-Configure" with the Com port selected, but it only says "Unable to verify settings due to packet timeout. Check all cables and configuration and try again"
The driver for the USB RS-232 converter it's working properly, I used the cable to communicate with other PLC and it works.
I also tried to do the ethernet communication assigning an IP to the processor but I can't use the tool BOOTP because the MAC Address doesn't appear.

In the CPU Module, the FAULT led is blinking. I know this means that the processor isn't configurated or doesn't have a program in it.

I don't know what else to do, please help me if you know another way to assign an IP Address.....

Channel 0 could be set for DH-485 comm's, or for ASCII comm's if needed by another device. It can also be disabled completely.

To try the DH-485 option use a 1747-UIC to the DB-9, with a null-modem cable.

The best option would be to download and install WireShark. a free network monitor. With this you should see the 5/05 give its IP address, or it may be requesting one from a BOOTP server. If there is an HMI attached that would probably look at a specific IP address so the PLC should have a set address.

EDIT: if you have the porgram ready to download you could reset the 5/05 by pulling the battery and shorting the VB terminal to ground for 20 seconds. Then the PLC will default to DF-1 - either at 1200 or 19200 baud depending on the firmware revision in it.

Last edited:
Some USB converters just plain won't work with the SLC500, even though they will work for other PLCs. I have used a Keyspan usa-19hs with success with this processor. Google it for sources.

A lot of inexpensive USB/RS232 converters can't rapidly change framing or speed settings, which is necessary for the "Autoconfigure" feature to work correctly.

The settings are pretty straightforward to just set correctly for the DF1 Full Duplex defaults on the SLC-5/05.

19200 baud 8/N/1 framing
CRC error checking
DF1 Full Duplex
SLC/MicroLogix/PanelView device type

You can also use Wireshark to "sniff" the IP address of the SLC-5/05, especially if you can connect directly to it from your computer and look for ARP packets.

I also tried to do the ethernet communication assigning an IP to the processor but I can't use the tool BOOTP because the MAC Address doesn't appear.

I don't know what else to do, please help me if you know another way to assign an IP Address.....

You need to reset the PLC to factory default then use Bootp and the mac will show up, since the light is blinking you lost your program anyways so just reset it and then you will be fine, you can use controlflash to load the IP, its a little easier and faster