SLC 505 and PanelView Plus

RBergmann

I'm in the middle of writing code for a SLC 5/05 and PanelView Plus on an Ethernet connection.

I've found from past experience that the most difficult part of programming an Allen-Bradley networked configuration is communication among all the components.

Here's my question:
Before being able to test out communications, the enclosure had to ship out to the site with both the PLC and OIT installed. I'd like to have both (PLC and OIT) shipped back to me so that I can validate what I've written so far, but I don't know if the PLC will accept OIT commands if the "Phoenix" style connectors (wired to the I/O) are removed. A-B units seem to be pretty smart about what's hanging off their buss. I think that I have to have all the modules installed on the rack to make this work, and I can have this, but don't want the wiring removed at the site, just disconnected. Is any of this of a correct assumption on my part? Is there a way to run bench tests on this hardware with the connectors removed?

... rab

You don't need the wiring, but you will need the I/O cards...just have them leave the wiring arms in the machine...

There may be a way to fool the SLC into running without I/O cards...seems this has been done before. You may want to search the knowbase at ab.com.

You will still need a backplane and PS at the very least...

OkiePC said:
You don't need the wiring, but you will need the I/O cards...just have them leave the wiring arms in the machine...

There may be a way to fool the SLC into running without I/O cards...seems this has been done before. You may want to search the knowbase at ab.com.

You will still need a backplane and PS at the very least...
Thanks, OkiePC ...

This is what I needed to know.

... rab

I believe you can go into "processor status" on the software on the left side of the software, click I/O at the top and change all the 1's for your rack to 0's. This will keep the processor from faulting when you bench test the PLC and HMI.

Give it a try.

Don

OkiePC said:

Disable_IO.JPG

Enter a zero where the card is missing and you can run the program without the I/O card.

bowler said:
I believe you can go into "processor status" on the software on the left side of the software, click I/O at the top and change all the 1's for your rack to 0's. This will keep the processor from faulting when you bench test the PLC and HMI.

Give it a try.

Don
I'll have the entire rack back here within the week. For future reference, if nothing else, I'll give this a try.

Thanks to jtn also, for the screen shot.

... rab