SLC BRICK port and language issues

Is you goal just for programming access, or do you intend to put this thing on your ethernet network? If the latter, I think Digi makes a device that will do it for access via remote RSLinx stations or HMI's. If the machine needs a HMI and full time data collection, you could go that route with a G3 or other HMI which supports protocol conversion.
Well I never heard of this APS before so being a noobie I just assumed it was going to be standard RS LOGIX 500 being it was a SLC. Why would it be so easy right?

Any ways my intention is to add to the program a very simple addition. This is an machine that cuts 7/8 copper tubing at various lengths. Longest beinb 84". This uncoiler has a air brake with a single valve. I simple wanted to use a LS on the cutting machine to trigger a TON timer,to then energized this brake and then release. At the most 4 rungs. Then download back into the SLC. We only have RS LOGIX 500 Starter. Well we just ordered it so it will be here in afew weeks.

But after seeing the PLC program a curve ball was thrown my way by it being this APS programming I never heard of. I dont know what to do now because I really dont want to get into having to rewrite the program as I a still a noobie Tech,nott a PLC programmer. But I also dont want to appear to have put my foot in my mouth.

If you have a PDF of the program in the APS format, the just copy it rung for rung into the RSLogix software when you get it and then download it, as long as the PDF is current there should not be a problem.
As others have said you can try to go online with the RSLogix software when you get it you have nothing to loose and it just may work.

Alan

There was a technote about fixed and 5/0x programs written in APS not uploading because of some checksum calculations. I don't remember all the details I just remember there was some utility that you downloaded from AB that took care of he fix.
Not uploading withing APS software or RSLOGIX 500?

My thing is I would need to backup the APS software before I would even attempt to download my attempted rewritten version.

If you have a PDF of the program in the APS format, the just copy it rung for rung into the RSLogix software when you get it and then download it, as long as the PDF is current there should not be a problem.
As others have said you can try to go online with the RSLogix software when you get it you have nothing to loose and it just may work.

Alan
Can you look at it? I see a rung with a Subroutine Jump command but I dont see anything that tells me where in the that Subroutine is located. Im not seeing the typical Subroutine Commands Im used to at the begining and end of the that Subroutine file.

A serial to DH485 is the very old 1747-PIC, see pdf. You would need a real serial port on your PC to use this.

The newer USB to DH485 converter,1747-UIC is the better choice. See PDF.
You can get one at link below.

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm
Okay thankx
So there are 2 kinds of DH385 connectors then? One that looks like a serial type and another that looks more like Ethernet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiroy
2. Is the connector on this model SLC 500 brick a Ethernet connector or DH+? It looks like a Ethernet style jack but I have never done anything with a SLC 500 Brick like these?

""NO NO It's an ethernet port destructor! ONLY DH485 devices can connect there.""

I had a guy at a company we do service work at call me up last week saying that an L40B was faulted out and needed help.

When I got there, he was totally frustrated as to why he could not talk to the thing. Quick glance duly noticed an Ethernet cable from the brick to his laptop. OOPS!!!

I dug out the PIC and had to swap a fried output. Got it going. He had a UIC so I configured that for him. He was happy.

I knew something possibly may have been toasted with the Ethernet hook up. Maybe I should send him an email to have his NIC checked out before I get another frantic phone call.

I dont know what to do now because I really dont want to get into having to rewrite the program as I a still a noobie Tech,nott a PLC programmer.
Install your new RSLogix software, connect your communications cable, click on "File, Open", and select the file to open. If your old file has at least one copy saved as a RSS, ACH, SLC, RS1, SBF, or the even older IB1 (AI- Advanced Interchange backup) file, then you should be able to open it. You may get a few error messages that have to be handled once the file is loaded.

If your file is not one of the RSLogix supported-file types, then you could post a copy of your old APS file here, and someone that still has the old DOS software could load it and convert it to one of the supported types. I think I still have an old floppy-disk copy of the APS software in my file cabinet.

RSLogix File Import Types.jpg

Last edited:
Install your new RSLogix software, connect your communications cable, click on "File, Open", and select the file to open. If your old file has at least one copy saved as a RSS, ACH, SLC, RS1, SBF, or the even older IB1 (AI- Advanced Interchange backup) file, then you should be able to open it. You may get a few error messages that have to be handled once the file is loaded.

If your file is not one of the RSLogix supported-file types, then you could post a copy of your old APS file here, and someone that still has the old DOS software could load it and convert it to one of the supported types. I think I still have an old floppy-disk copy of the APS software in my file cabinet.
That would be amazing,but this company is so unprofessional,they literally do not have any of the programs files for our machines. Most machines were bought used. This particular machine has a EEPROM backup chip,but I found it in the bottom of the wiring panel. It was taken out of the PLC and thrown in there. No one knows why,if it even works and they didnt even know what it was when I brought it to there attention.

At this point I really need to get my hands on the APS software to even retreived the program file from the PLC. This place is a mess but Im looking at it like boot camp. Im literally all on my own and forced to figure this stuff out in rediculously unorganized situations. This site is the only resource for mentors I have. Thankx again guys. But Im at a loss at this point if I cant retreive the file.

I only have the print out of the program. If I cant get into the program the only thing I can think of is using a hardwired timer and splice into the Limit switch. Hopefully I wouldnt be drawing to much current from the LS to the timer and the limit switch can feed both the PLC and timer without issue.

At this point I really need to get my hands on the APS software to even retreived the program file from the PLC.

I respectfully disagree here. No matter what software you start with you need a comms method first:

http://ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

Skiroy said:
I only have the print out of the program.

Do you have proof it is accurate? Punch it into RSLogix and test it in the emulator if you want good editor practice.

Skiroy said:
If I cant get into the program the only thing I can think of is using a hardwired timer and splice into the Limit switch. Hopefully I wouldnt be drawing to much current from the LS to the timer and the limit switch can feed both the PLC and timer without issue.

That's one way to go about it, but don't hope when you can RTFM on the load.

I think you need a PIC or facsimile thereof first, then see if you can upload with RSLogix500. You need a backup of the thing at some point, and you could make use of that EEPROM or at least check its contents AFTER you have made that known good backup.

I think there's a fairly good chance RSLogix will upload the program just fine, and then you have a backup, and can make more sensible mods now and in the future. You will still have to go through the exercise of adding all the comments, but at least you don't have to invent them since you have a paper copy.

Last edited:
At this point I really need to get my hands on the APS software to even retreived the program file from the PLC.
The APS software might not help much unless you have a computer DOS operating system to run it on.

I only have the print out of the program.
Don't say "only". That hard copy should be treated as if it is gold-plated until you get something better. Make 2 or 3 copies and store them in different places. Since it was an old brick-type SLC, I bet it is not a very long program and could easily be re-entered from the hard copy. You should make a PDF copy of the program print-out and post it here. I might convert it for you to a RSLogix500 *.RSS file.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiroy
2. Is the connector on this model SLC 500 brick a Ethernet connector or DH+? It looks like a Ethernet style jack but I have never done anything with a SLC 500 Brick like these?

""NO NO It's an ethernet port destructor! ONLY DH485 devices can connect there.""

I had a guy at a company we do service work at call me up last week saying that an L40B was faulted out and needed help.

When I got there, he was totally frustrated as to why he could not talk to the thing. Quick glance duly noticed an Ethernet cable from the brick to his laptop. OOPS!!!

I dug out the PIC and had to swap a fried output. Got it going. He had a UIC so I configured that for him. He was happy.

I knew something possibly may have been toasted with the Ethernet hook up. Maybe I should send him an email to have his NIC checked out before I get another frantic phone call.

Seriously all. After a half a dozen emails back and forth, this guy still cant figure out what an Ethernet port is. We have established what a USB port is and that the PM02 cable is not USB but serial. I told him it's the one you plug into the network with. His reply was "this is set up wireless and still don't know what you are talking about".

Look's like I'll have to stop by.

The above posted program would probably be easier to rewrite than messing around.

A few months ago. I gave a factory sealed 1996 vintage APS package to a friend who wanted to learn programming.

Last edited: