SLC vs ControlLogix

If I were building a system from the ground up in a vacuum (this case is neither) I would go ControlLogixs with a ControlNet control communications backbone. I would also toss in an Ethernet bridge for HMI communication and programming interface.

Well, back to reality. ControlLogix will not be a problem for you if you don't have to set the system up and you will be troubleshooting and making after-install modifications. The programming front end is VERY similar to Logix5 and Logix500. If you have a developed program in front of you so you can look at the routine and data layouts you'll pick things up REAL fast.
As Peter said above I have serious doubts that a single 5/04 will have the processing horsepower to handle a whole press. You made the comment that a 5/04 or a MicroLogix 1500 in each cabinet might be a way to go. You will need to split up the processing if you go SLC. Does the MicroLogix 1500 have a built-in ROI slave interface? If so that might be a pretty nice setup too.
You might find that ControlLogix is more cost competitive than you expect when you consider you will need more processors with an SLC based system. Also, the integrated motion in ControlLogix is pretty nice for point to point moves. It isn't so sweet for winding and unwinding, though.
I'm guessing here but I suspect the Eurotherm drives are tied together on their LINK fiber-optic network. If so you can build up a gateway with Eurotherm parts to go from DeviceNet to LINK to get info to/from the drives.

Good luck.
Keith