KepServerEX - SLC Addressing Vs. ControlLogix

Tanquen

We are updating A few older Aveva Wonderware InTouch applications from a SLC PLC to a new ControlLogix PLC.

What is the best way to deal with the different item/address format?

Issue #1:
B25:3/9 will become B25[3].9

For this I did a clunky search & replace in Excel, to replace the ":" with "[" and the "/" with a "].". This seems to have worked but concerned about selecting all and just the addresses in the CSV database dump.

Issue #2:
If the HMI needs to write to a PLC address you must add an @data type suffix to the item/address in the InTouch database.

"B25[3].9" will become "B25[3].9 @Boolean"

For this I again used some clunky search & replace and some VBA in Excel, to find the tags that are used to write values in the InTouch app printed to text file. Auto filtered for "Type: Input -", "Type: Push Button -" and "=", to make a list of tags that write out of the HMI and then add the @ data type suffix.

This works but could leave out some tags and is time consuming. Is there any reason not to just add the @ data type suffix to all tags?

Someone had said they thought that KepServerEX could import a tag list from the PLC and then you would not need to add the @ data type suffix to the InTouch database.

I was just following what had been done in other conversions. They have no tags added to KepServerEX and only added the @ data type suffix to some of the tags.

Last edited:
Hmm...
It looks like the command bit tags work with or without adding " @Boolean".

So just the analogs needs the " @Float" or " @ Short" added on. ???

It looks like the discrete tags will also need the " @Boolean" data type suffix if they are converted to descriptive ControlLogix addresses.

So if the old address for the Pump Start CMD was B25[3].9, you can read and write to that address through KEPServerEX without the " @Boolean" data type suffix as it knows what it is.

But if you change it in the PLC from B25[3].9 to an addresses of Pump1_Start_CMD, then you will again need to add the " @Boolean" data type suffix.