SLC5/02 and 1747-UIC com problems

tylerinthetub

Hello guys, I'm a relative noob at this, but I picked up an SLC5/02 and the UIC cable off eBay and I'm having problems getting it to talk. I have installed the drivers and RSLinx is seeing the 1747 cable, but not seeing the processor.

The green USB light is on, the red DH485 light is off, not flashing at all. Switch is set to RS485.

The CPU fault light on the processer is flashing red, which I thought meant there is no program loaded, and the low battery light is on, because there's no battery in it atm.

Im running 32 bit Windows XP virtual machine on Windows 7 on boot camp.

I reset the processor to factory but no change, any suggestions would be great, or did I get a lemon processor?

Edit to add: RSLinx 2.54.00.11

Welcome to the Forum !

Which exact driver are you using in RSLinx Classic ?

What exact cable are you using to connect to the SLC-5/02 ?

RSLinx 2.54 had one of the earliest 1747-UIC dedicated purpose driver, labeled "DH485 UIC Devices".

You can also use the DF1 Full Duplex driver with the appropriate COM port selection and the appropriate Device Type (KF3/KE) and CRC Error Checking.

Is your 1747-UIC the genuine Allen-Bradley product, or a workalike ?

The A-B model will be beige, have the A-B octagon logo, say "Made in India", and have a UL Recognized logo. All three LEDs on that unit are green, so your mention of a red DH485 LED suggests you don't have the genuine unit.

The best-known workalike from TheAutomationStore is black and also has the 1747-UIC part number but no A-B logo.

The USB drivers for these devices are different, but the RSLinx driver should be the same.

I was using the dedicated UIC driver, but thanks to your suggestion I tried the DF1 driver and its talking now. For anyone that might pick this up later in the archives the 1747 UIC was Chinese eBay knock off.

Thanks ken