SLC5/04 Comms to Panelview550

Secpcb

I have 2 sister machines (builder from Germany closed years ago) that each has a SLC 5/04 and a Panelview 550 with a serial cable between them.

Neither RSLinx DF-1 driver or the DF-1 driver in PB32 can see either of the Panelviews or the SLC's. The comms screen on both Panelviews says 19200 baud, also doesn't have a printer port installed that can be turned on.

Is there any other communication protocol other then RS-232 these could be set for? I have tried null-modem and straight thru cables. I have tested the cables and drivers on another Panelview 900 & it connects fine.

I just want to have archived copies of the programs in case I have to ever replace them.

RSLogix 500 ver9.00
Panelbuilder32 ver 3.83.01
RSLinx ver3.70

While the communication link is RS232 the protocol may be either DF1 or DH485. Please provide the exact part number of the display. That should help.

They have RS-232 physical communications ports, and as Bernie has pointed out, use a particular protocol via RS-232. In this case they are connected to the SLC controllers using point-to-point DH-485 protocol. They are DH-485 protocol fixed. So none of the DF1 drivers you are trying in RSLinx Classic will communicate directly with them.

From the manual...

RS-232 Communication Port -

Connects to the Channel 0 port of an SLC 5/03 or 5/04 controller for
point-to-point DH-485 communications. Connects to a MicroLogix
controller through an AIC+ Link Coupler. Also connects to the RS-
232 serial port of a computer for transferring applications.

Important: You must configure the Channel 0 Port of the SLC 5/03,
5/04, 5/05 controller for DH-485 communications

To transfer applications from a computer...

If you have a real serial port (I think you do?)...

Use a straight-through cable such as the 2711-NC13 and if available in RSLinx Classic, use the 1747-PIC driver.

If you do not have a real serial port you can alternatively use a 1747-UIC, which is USB to Serial / DF1 to DH-485 converter and the DH485 UIC devices driver in RSLinx Classic.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George,
thanks. I do have a serial port on the laptop, and I have the UIC adapter. I will check tomorrow, but I think I do have the PIC driver available in RSLinx, otherwise I will try the UIC.

Thanks guys.

It was DH485, but when I installed the PIC driver in RSLinx as soon as I tried to start the PIC driver RSLInx crashed & closed. When I reopend it the PIC driver was there, but crashed every time I tried to start it again.

Ended up using the UIC & saving the programs from both SLC 5/04's and both Panelviews.

The PIC driver, while it may reside in modern Windows OS, is quite the exile from it's older and native environment (pre XP SP3). Something you have just been made aware of.

That is why I also suggested the UIC option.

I'm glad you got what you needed.

Regards,
George

While I do have a Windows 10 laptop I was using my XP SP3 laptop for this.

It may be old, but it has a serial port, PC slot for my Siemens 5512 card, and the battery lasts a lot longer than the Win10 laptop.

Thanks again George