SLC5/05 communicating with ADAM-6052 via Ethernet

greg71

Does anyone have any expierence with setting up ADAM-6000 series with the Ethernet converter ADAM-6541 to pick up one discrete input, that will be read by SLC5/05 processor?
How to configure MSG block for Ethernet protocol? I think I can manage to set up the IP address on the ADAM unit, but how to read (map) that only one discrete iput (one bit) into the SLC processor?

TIA,
Greg

you need to map that dicrete input to the unused memory byte of the SLC and then write a CIP message (for writting)in the SLC application here target should be your ADAM ip adress and freem byte inthat..then finally you can use first bit of that byte (at ADAM side).
Thanks for your understanding.
Naag.

I use the ADAM modules all the time (usually the 6024) and they support Modbus/TCP, which the SLC5/05 does not have native support for.

Options:

Add protocol converter - from Redlion, Digi One IAP, RTA, Prosoft, etc. This will translate your message from the MSG function block from the SLC to a Modbus command.

I know some of the AB PLCs support ModbusRTU on the serial port. If that applies here, then a ModbusRTU to Modbus/TCP converter could be used. There are many vendors for this, including the above.

Thanks, for all the answers. But, I still don't know if it is doable.

Naag, I have thought that I have to read this bit with MSG block, not write. Remember, I will have one discrete input hardwired to the ADAM unit, that I would like to get into my SLC processor via Ethernet. I am confused about what I should put in the destination field, in the MSG function block?

Ya you can read that bit by the end of SLC.you please try with reading and let me know the results...

Note:
in you read message instruction you need to specify free memeroy area of you SLC data table as DESTINATION and Target IP adrees and the memory area of that also....
Thanks for your kind understanding.

Naag.

No luck. I'm confused. What do I pick for a target device in MSG block: 500CPU, 485CIF, or PLC5? I understand how to set up "This Controller" side of the MSG block, but what do you put for the "Target Device" Data Table Address? I have found in the ADAM manual, that all the DI's are stored in adresses: 00001 to 00016 which are mapped to the Modbus 40000 registers. Perhaps, Robert is right and I need some kind of protocol converter that will convert Allan Bradley Ethernet to Modbus/TCP?

Greg

Itk ok ,
let me have that ADAM manual and i will get backe to you
on the right configuration.
Actually i never worked on this.
Naag.