SLC5/05 Ethernet MSG limits

glenncooper

Hello,
I'm working on communication between multiple SLC5/05s. In one situation I have a single SLC5/05 that needs to communicate a minimal amount of stuff between five other SLC5/05s. I've been digging into the MSG statement and have concerns about the number of allowed connections. I see several references that this processor can handle 4 incoming and 4 outgoing connections for a total of 8. But when I check the channel status of my online SLC5/05 it shows that 24 maximum connections are allowed.

From the status table this is OS501 series C FRN 8.

Does anyone know what this 24 max. connections mean? Is this more current than the 8 max that is documented? Does this mean that the MSG statements can grab more than 4 connections in and 4 connections out?

Thanks!

As I recall, the number of connections depended on which 505 you have (16,32, or 64K). I had one where I had to upgrade the processor to get enough connections. I recall seeing a tech note on the A-B webstire about 505 connections. If possible stagger your messages.

Thanks for the input. The staggering the messages makes a lot of sense, but I might have shot myself in the foot on that one by moving the MSG statements out of the central processor to the remote processors. I thought this was offloading communications work from the central processor, but now it doesn't really seem so. But it does insure that I can't stagger the MSG requests in any type of deterministic fashion. Might have to go back to plan "A".

Just found the answer in a newer version of 1747-um011 manual. The answer is 4 dedicated outgoing connections, 4 dedicated incoming connections, and 24 or 40 or 56 that are either incoming or outgoing based on processor type (L551/L552/L553 in order).