SLC500 Communications Error

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I'm having problems with RSLINX and a SLC500 5/03 processor. I try to load a program into a processor with nothing loaded into it, yet, it starts normal then when it goes to "Writing Executable Files" it faults and displays "Download Failed! Communications Errors!". Would anyone have an idea as to why it is doing this. Thank you.

Can you post the program you are trying to download?

How are you connected to the processor, serial port or DH485 port?

Is the HMI using the 485 Port, or is it on the RS-232 Port, but using DH-485 Protocol? What is your Channel 0 setup, is it being changed from the Default by the Program?

Stu.....

Is the HMI using the 485 Port, or is it on the RS-232 Port, but using DH-485 Protocol? What is your Channel 0 setup, is it being changed from the Default by the Program?

Stu.....

HMI using 485 port. Chan 0 setup shows DF1 Full Duplex mode is System. I don't know how to tell if it is being changed from the default by the program.

Thank you Mickey for the above info. I went to that page, followed the instructions. Now when I try to download it displays a program error for first line of the ladder "Rung 0 INS 0 : Error: Program could not be compiled! Out of data table memory".

Thank you Mickey for the above info. I went to that page, followed the instructions. Now when I try to download it displays a program error for first line of the ladder "Rung 0 INS 0 : Error: Program could not be compiled! Out of data table memory".

It sounds like you are out of memory. What exact model of 5/03 are you using? What happens if you do a Verify Project offline? After you do a Verify, open your Controller Properties, and under the General Tab, look at Memory Used and Memory Left. What do they say? Do have large Data Files, especially String Files?

Stu...

I'm not sure if this matters, however, I was just told by another tech that a "memory erase" was performed on this CPU several months ago. He shorted to points together on the back of the CPU module. It is a 1747-L531 E 8, O.S.#1747-CS302 C 8.

Now I have another issue. I went to another AB SLC500 5/03 because of an alarm and IT wont communicate as well. I just went online two days ago and it was fine. Now it wont communicate either. Something screwy with my Laptop, RSLinx Lite, or RSLogix500? Thank you.

All that does is clear the processsors memory ( program), puts it back to its default state.

Double check the memory of your processor, take it out of its rack and look at the memory specification ( 8k,16K or 32K)

Then make sure the offline project ( under controller properties) match.