SLC500 Communications Error

All that does is clear the processsors memory ( program), puts it back to its default state.

Double check the memory of your processor, take it out of its rack and look at the memory specification ( 8k,16K or 32K)

Then make sure the offline project ( under controller properties) match.

Ok, I pulled it out and I'm probably going to sound extremly stupid, however, I don't see where it shows the memory. It just has a sticker that displays "SLC 500 Processor Unit", "1747-L531, ser E, Proc.Rev 8 then under a space that displays "Operating System Information" it dispalys "1747-OS302 ser C, FRN 8".

I have been reading an AB book and trying different things. Now the error message is "No response from processor at selected path/node! InitDriver failed-code: -1. Current driver (AB_DF1) may not be running"

maybe the "path" is set wrong ...

first get RSLinx configured so that it can "see" the processor ... usually the Autoconfigure button will take care of that for you ...

then - and ONLY then ...

go to RSLogix500 ... do NOT (I repeat: do NOT) just click "Go Online" ... instead go the menu at the top of RSLogix500 and click Comms (or Communication) ... then click "Who Active Go Online" ... that should open a new window in RSLinx ... navigate to the processor you want - and highlight it ... then click the "OK" button on the right of the window ...

see if that helps ... let us know if it does - and then we'll explain "why" ... if it doesn't work, tell us where it's hanging up - and what error messages you're seeing ...

... if it doesn't work, tell us where it's hanging up - and what error messages you're seeing ...[/quote]

When I go to "who active, go online" it displays a tree. My options are;
"Linx Gateways, Ethernet",
"ABDF1-1, DH485"

Under the "ABDF1-1, DH485" I have;
"00, Workstation,DF1-Com1,Program", and
"01, SLC-5/03,Default, Faulted"

On the right-hand side of the dialogue box, under the "00, Workstation,DF1-Com1", down below it displays "Driver:AB_DF1-1 Type:Not a PLC,SLC, or CL".

On the right-hand side of the dialogue box, under the "01, SLC-5/03,Default", down below it displays "Driver:AB_DF1-1 Type:SLC500". I hope this isn't to confusing.

When I select the "01,SLC-5/03,DEFAULT" it pops-up an error box that displays:
DEFAULT SLC PROGRAM
Fault Code= 0001h
Default program loaded due to NVRAM error. A corrupt CRC was detected (loss of battery power may cause this), or a power cycle in the middle of a user program download, initialize memory, or memory module load.
Cannot go online or puload from DEFAULT processor (no program).
You must perform download. Then it gives two input options, one is "OK", the other is "Load from EEPROM".

I'm sorry for the over-abundance of information, I have a line down because of this. I sure do appreciate the help y'all are offering me. I just have one more bit of information. When I loaded an old SLC program and tried to download it, it gives me another pop-up box that says:

Downloading Program
(CHROM) for 1747-L532C/D 5/03CPU-16K Mem. OS302
To
(Default) 1747-L531E 5/03 CPU- 8K Mem. OS302Series C
Driver:AB_DF1-1 at Node 1
Are you sure you want to proceed with Download?

If I tell it yes, that's when I get an error message saying I'm out of data table memory. Thanks much.

that's what we needed to know ...

the CHROM program was originally written for a processor with 16K of memory ... that's BIGGER than the 8K memory processor you're trying to download to ... the big foot won't fit into the little shoe ...

did you try the information/trick that I mentioned in post #12? ...

suggestions: get a bigger processor - or email me your RSS program ...

Last edited:
Yes, I followed the directions from #12. It said it had 1416 possible and it deleted all of them. The problem I'm having with this is that the CPU nor the program have changed from two weeks ago, which is the last time I went online with this CPU, and it went online and I performed some edits, no problems. Now it's telling me this for the first time. I'm a little confused at this point.

Also, when I go to the I/O configuration page and perform an "Read IO config" command, it displays a 16K mem. CPU. So I'm not sure why it says it's trying to send it to an 8K CPU when I try to download.

The process that just went down and I was having problems with the communications problem, I have it to where it will now download but I have a new issue I've never seen before. After it loads the program it gives me a pop-up box that displays:

Apply Channel Configuration to online Processor (title)

Below it is a box that displays:

-Communication configuration is different.
*WARNING* loss of communication on current channel will occur

Then the HMI communication was lost. Thanks much for your advice.

The process that just went down and I was having problems with the communications problem, I have it to where it will now download but I have a new issue I've never seen before. After it loads the program it gives me a pop-up box that displays:

Apply Channel Configuration to online Processor (title)

Below it is a box that displays:

-Communication configuration is different.
*WARNING* loss of communication on current channel will occur

Then the HMI communication was lost. Thanks much for your advice.

It is warning you that Communications Parameters are about to be changed by the Program you are Downloading. Check you Offline Channel Configuration, and make sure it is correct for your HMI Communications Channel, and for your Programming Communications Channel. I believe you said in earlier Post the HMI was on the DH-485 Channel. Make sure that the DH-485 Parameters in your Offline File match the HMI's Communications Parameters, or visa/versa.

Stu.....