SLC500 to PowerFlex 700

PhilipW said:
I realise that this is not the answer you are looking for, but I'm very sold on using the 1747-SM1 DPI port modules for PLC to PowerFlex comms. If the Ethernet does not work out I would certainly have a look at the SM1's as I find them extremely easy to configure and typically they just plug in and go.

Philip... do you happen to have an RSLogix 5000 app handy that you have used to control a PowerFlex with the 1769-SM1? I have downloaded the SM1 manual and there is an example for running the drive with pre-set speeds. However, I need be able to vary/control the speed dynamically (so to speak) and would like a reference to look at since this will be my first time.

Sorry to be long winded... and thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks Ken, this AB knowledge base reference saved me hours of frustration. To anyone trying to use the 20-COMM-E users manual connecting a SLC500 to a Powerflex it will probably work if you use the EXACT addressing they do in the manual (actually the most important part is the Target Device addressing). Problem is AB does not give any explanation in the manual that these Powerflex Drive addresses (N41:0 and N42:3) are virtual address that live on the 20-COMM-E.

Please reference the above AB knowledge base for a more in depth explanation of the required PLC logic. Also invaluable in the KB article is the attached the ladder logic file.

Last edited: