Smart Phone as an HMI ?

HoldenC

Does anyone know if it is possible to create HMI programs that you can run on a smart phone ?

Im wanting to design some simple HMI screens that our maintenance crew will be able to look at on their phone. Im hoping this will help with troubleshooting and identifying possible problems early.

So far, all I have found is a C-More headless HMI, that will allow you to connect with an app. The only downside I see of this, is that I'm pretty sure it only allows 1 connection at a time.

Would anyone else have any other suggestions ?

We are running a ControlLogix plc.

We are in the process of rolling out Ignition, but Im not sure how long it will be till we can get something tailored to our maintenance needs. I really like that idea however.

PLCs running some flavour of codesys 3 can deliver web visualisations. These can be viewed in just about any browser on any smart phone. E.g. Wago plc's.

Sometimes we use this as a temporary testing device, convenient for test & troubleshoot phase during commissioning of large and complex projects. Allows for instance to monitor IO on the PLC while "in the field" around a large machine.

You may want to ask yourself if you want random smart phones accessing your machine network.

If you install a VNC viewer onto your phone, and your phone is on the same wireless network as your PLC's, then you can VNC into Rockwell Panelviews.

I do this all the time.

Cheers

Mark

With the Red Lion HMIs, you can access the web sever of the unit with your phone or tablet, providing you are sourcing a WiFi router with your HMI.