Software and Cabling for Schneider 140 CPU 434 12A

Dryhops

I need to get connected to an older machine that has been in storage for years. It utilizes a Scheider Electric 140 CPU 434 12A. I have not worked with the Schneider ecosystem and need to cost out the correct programming software and cabling.

I'm pretty sure the cable I need is this, if someone could verify: https://www.se.com/us/en/product/99...or-pc-terminal---for-unity-processor---3.7-m/

The software is a little less obvious. I found documentation for the Quantum processors which states:

As both the 140 CPU 434 12A and 140 CPU 534 14B Quantum CPUs are compatible
with Concept or ProWORX software, they can be upgraded to be compatible with the
Unity Pro™ software without any hardware modification.. This process of migrating
from Concept to Unity Pro is achieved by updating the CPU operating system.
This update is performed with the aid of the OS-Loader tool included with Unity Pro
(see page 7/29).

I do not yet know if the processor has been already been updated to support unity pro. Is anyone here familiar with this procedure? Do I also need a installation of Concept or ProWORX to perform the upgrade (i.e to save the program prior). Would I need to prepare a windows XP VM to run this on a modern machine?

Also, do I even have to purchase unity pro? Since proworx has reached it's end of life, is it possible to source a legitimate copy of it?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help here, but we had a customer where we had to work with some Quantum processors that were running concept.

Concept is definitely past end of life, but our Schneider distributor managed to get a hold of a 6 month license to Concept. Paid a pretty decent sum for only 6 month worth of license, but at least it allowed us to read the Concept file that the customer gave to us.

And, yes, we did run it on a XP VM.

So, I can't help with the cabling or how to determine whether it is running unity or not, but I would recommend to start with your local distributor. It seems like the folks with Concept experience are limited, even at Schneider.

I don't think that processor is capable of running Unity, you would need a 140 CPU 434 12U The cable you found will probably do the trick.

That leaves the possibility of Concept, Proworx or even Modsoft. Is it possible to dig through any old documentation for clues?

That cable is basically a 9-pin serial cable. You would connect it to one of the Modbus ports on the front of the controller and to the serial port on your computer (or usb dongle).

For software I would get a single seat partner license (similar to Rockwell Toolkit, but not nearly as expensive)and that would provide you Control Expert (Unity's new name), Proworx, Concept, and tech support to get it all done.

I would run Proworx and Concept on a XP VM.

Another option is that when you install Proworx/Concept, I think it'll run for 30 days without a license. So, if you were going to migrate it to Control Expert (Unity) then that would be plenty of time to get the program off the controller. Then you would only need a Control Expert license.

Do you have a local Schneider Automation vendor?