Solid state hard drive for RSView applications

engiedude

Would a solid state hard drive be a good choice for a computer that is connected to a gigabit network running RSView32 run time on Windows XP? The goal is to increase the performance of the RSView application by eliminating the possibility of bottlenecks due to the speed of the network.

Unless you're doing serious heavy-duty data logging, the hard drive is unlikely to speed up your RSView32 application measurably. And the network speed itself is almost never an issue; any wired 100BaseT network has many times more bandwidth than a controller and HMI can use.

But it certainly can't hurt, especially if boot times are a concern.

Give us a better description of the performance issue. Is it slow changing screens? Loading the app? Changing data in registers?

As Ken said a SSD won't hurt anything but is not likely to be your culprit.

Check your RAM and also how long has the view app been running on the box? If it's been in service for a while a fresh windows reload would help.Windows tends to destroy itself and get slower as time progresses.

Close the app and try a defrag also. What speed is you current hard drive? 5400 or 7200 or better?

Would a solid state hard drive be a good choice for a computer that is connected to a gigabit network running RSView32 run time on Windows XP? The goal is to increase the performance of the RSView application by eliminating the possibility of bottlenecks due to the speed of the network.

I'm sitting on the fence with SSD's. Flash RAM technology has historically suffered from a limited number of read/write cycles, and was never suited as a replacement for the duty required of a hard drive.

Perhaps the technology has moved on - I'd be interested to see the specs......

I use an SEL 3354 to run windows based HMI software in control panels and it comes with a SSD manufactured by swissbit

here are the specs for that one:
http://www.swissbit.com/images/stories/products/flyer_x-500_9_2012_150dpi_save.pdf

write endurance: 2000 terabytes written
10 year data rentention
2 000 000 hours MTBF (228 years)
read 240 MB/s, write 200 MB write (assume this is megabyte, as it has SATA II interface capable of 3 gbit/s,)
IOPS read 14,500 (my ssd does 80,000)
IOPS write 7000

so it is slow for an SSD, but undoubtedly better than the compact flash cards the SEL 3351 used to use which was much slower than a traditional hard drive.

I'm sitting on the fence with SSD's. Flash RAM technology has historically suffered from a limited number of read/write cycles, and was never suited as a replacement for the duty required of a hard drive.

Perhaps the technology has moved on - I'd be interested to see the specs......

Actually you get better IOPS with SSD than HDD and have for quite some time. The issue is the cost per GB at a given IOPS range.

All depends on the SSD you buy also. The SSD you get for $59.00 most likely has a poor IOPS range but there is everything in between and enterprise grade also.

We run SSD's in all out servers that us hard drives but most are virtualized so we use Compact flash in the server and store the VM's on a common SAN storage device.

We have been runniing SSD drives for well over a year and all of the new HMI's we have installed for the last year for a major oil company have had SSD drives. In fact the have no moving parts at all. We have had really good luck with them so far.

http://www.aaeonsystems.com/products/AEC-6920.php
(Not sure this is the exact model we use but its close)

About $4000 CAD give or take

Kraken Fan #69

Last edited: