Spark sensor

jketterm

Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a sensor or piece of test equipment that can sense a spark, similar to the spark of a spark plug, from a distance of say 1 to 2 feet away? Any help would be great. Thanks.

What about a Fireye brand system? I used them years ago on large fuel oil / natural gas heaters. There are also UV sensors that will detect this I have only seen them about a foot or so away. They may have units that work from farther away than that.

What are you sensing and why? Is this a fire system, heating, or light generator. You could use a current sensor to detect the arc. With no arc you will have no current flow. What voltage is this ignitor working at 6,000 or 10,000 V What type of electrode single element or dual? What power supply?

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Sparks

There are many types. Just Google "baghouse spark sensors". Grecon is one that comes to mind. See if these will work for you..
Cheers..

sparks

look into UE systems Ultrasonic inspection device. Finds arcking (carona), air & steam leaks, test steam traps, bad bearings invertter induced rotor current and much more. around $ 7 k but will pay for itself in a medium sized plant

Thanks for the help. The specs for the spark to be detected are:
Output Voltage: 20-24KVdc
Type of spark: Continuous (~7Hz+-3Hz)

From what I am finding, my application is not too common. The application will not be an inline application like those used in dust systems or grain systems. This will be to sense a spark on the factory floor in a lighted room from approximately 1 to 2 feet away. We are testing a patented ignition module for an appliance.

Thanks again