Splitting 24vdc Input

scseider

Would it be wise / safe to split a 24vdc input from a switch to a PLC and relay?

I currently have 14 of the same type of equipment that each have an input switch wired to the inputs of a PLC. I'm looking to add indicator lights for each switch and I came up with 2 options:

1. Split the input to the PLC and relay, and use the relay to energize the indicator lights.

2. Add a Flex I/O and use the outputs to each of the indicator lights.

You can parallel up a 24VDC LED 22mm panel light with a typical PLC 24V digital input. No need for an additional relay.

Is the 24V DC supply for the PLC inputs coming from an external power supply, or from the PLC card? That would be the only thing i would check, is the additional current to drive the LEDs going to be an issue?