SQC's, SQO's, and timers

D'ya get connected yit?

Also, let me know if you want the unedited excel sheet to go with your sequencer. It will open with the data intact, if you decline the option to update remote data sources when Office opens the file.

I can post the .xls file and some instructions for using it with your RSLinx configuration if you have a version other than RSLinx Lite.

Then you can S&R the cells with RSLinx DDE links topicname and update them to match your online file.

And don't forget to add the mode logic to control the AUTO and MANUAL mode bits that I left dangling in the example.

Post an update if you can...

The most important part of any PLC sequencer IMHOkieO, is the excel chart that documents the process most completely. If you automate the documentation, you will, no doubt, be able to quickly and easily resolve any issues that affect the machine control.

At one time, I built an excel sheet for a complex tire assembly machine that included buttons to read the existing sequence, or send the edited sequence to a PLC5. I used very crude VBA underneath some simple buttonclick events.

With that simple tool, I could reconfigure the sequence to build a test tire or to refine quality of the product and it was in an organized, yet powerful little excel file with pop-up comments, and units conversions...much easier on the programmer or technician than RSLogix binary radix data tables.

When it checks out in chart form, and you make use of your design document as a source for tag names and/or descriptions throughout the runtime applications, you can really have slick code that is self diagnostic, self documenting, extremely powerful and flexible too.

Once you build the strategy for presentation and implementation, the work of building the sequencer becomes childs play.

My eyebrows raised some earlier in the thread when you said you combined steps and shortened the sequencer.

Fewer steps is rarely better, but spares can be priceless!

Hmmm, that applies to wires, and many other aspects of our work besides steps, huh?

Usually I find that extra steps inserted in the sequence is a more common upgrade to a sequencer than trimming out microseconds of cycle time by shortening the overall sequence.

Spares (identical steps that get one scan of the PLC code) are useful later on when you get into the nitty gritty details and find out that you need a delay between the activation of two devices, or need to insert an action that you forgot, or the salesman already told his customer your machine could perform.

Most sequeners get additions as product quality, or complexity is driven forward.

If you are under a hundred steps and still have plenty of memory (which you do), then make sure you have one unique step for each device that must change states during a step change.

Example: If, in step 3 of a 57 step sequence, you need to turn on two motors and a solenoid valve at the same time. Make three steps that have the same output and input conditions.

Turn them all on in steps 3, 4, and 5. And look for the same input conditions in steps 2, 3, and 4.

The PLC will be in steps 3 and four for a single scan each, and then be in step 5 until the input MEQ is satisfied, then go on to step 6 immediately.

Later on it is a piece of cake to split up the sequence into different steps if you find out later that that cylinder moves so slow, that it needs to get a head start for optimal cycle time, and now you have to insert a step and scoot all your bits down in hte table, all 54 remaining rows of them...

Not a big deal if your sequencer PLC has code built to help automate the design by , but when you are didling the bits by hand, it is nice to leave behind spares.

The PLC sequencer, using the MEQ method for sequencing hte inputs as in my example, can advance through the spares at its average scan rate, and you will not know they are even there until you need them.

This description of the scan is not necessarily true with the SQI (PLC5) or SQC (SLC) instructions. Those instructions require a false to true transition in order to "go true" (PLC5 SQI) or set the FD bit (SLC).

That's another reason I prefer the MEQ/MVM over the SQC/SQO instructions, in addition to externalizing the step control.

External step control: By ditching the SQO in favor of the MVM (or MOV if your mask is a constant FFFFh) you can split up the bit file mapping portion of the sequencer from the counting portion. You will probably find it useful to be able to step forward through the sequence, and even maybe to back up a few steps and go back into automatic mode.

That type of control can be very effective fro operations and maintenanceespecially with some form of numeric display for the step number.

Then, you can end up with a machine that can "limp along" with a failed limit switch, for example, by allowing the operator to switch to manual and step forward.

If he needs to back up two steps to repeat a part of the process after manual intervention was required, he can do that too.

Just more food for thought on your sequencer.

piEAce!

I have not, and it's really bugging me. I've checked the channel configuration, comms, and rslinx (we have classic by the way). I went to the properties under channel configurtation and tried to change the node of the controller, but it was set at 1 and I can't that way. It's still not finding that node, though.

The excel sheet would be pretty sweet, and I'm in the process of adding the mode control.

In RSLinx, check the whole path to make sure you are looking at the right driver and path to the SLC.

Also, go to the configure drivers part of RSLinx, and ensure that the driver in that path is running and not in an ERROR state. IF it is errored, you can try to stop the driver and restart it.

RSLinx may not let you stop a driver that is being used, so you may have to close any RSWho windows that are open in RSLinx or RSLogix when you do that.

IF the driver is running, open the RSWho window back up and turn off autobrowse.

Then click the refrech button and wait a few seconds for it to check the network.

You may also right click on the SLC with the big red X on it, and hit the Remove button.

That will remove it from the list of devices that RSLinx "remembers", and if the SLC is really there and accessible, it will find it again, when you refresh or turn autobrowse back on.

Hope this helps...

Attached is the workbook. When you open it, you will be prompted to Update, or Don't Update the links. Choose don't update for now, then you can see the functions and DDE links in the cells...once you get Linx fingered out, we can copy DDE links from your PLC and paste them into the lime green columns and then you'll have a "live" design doc for your machine.

Note, you must not be using the Lite (free) version of RSLinx, as it does not support DDE.

Paul

Sweet. The refresh worked and I was almost able to download my file. Buuuut a warning message popped up saying:
--COMMUNICATION CONFIGURATION IS DIFFERENT--
*WARNING* Loss of communication on current channel will occur.
Accept new configuration?

-thats not normal, is it?

That means your offline file contains some change to a communication channel.

If you apply the changes, the processor will be changed to match the offline file Channel Config. If you Don't Apply, the processor will retain its current communication settings.

Double check the offline file, and compare that with what you want it to be...

Paul

Haha you must be thinking, "What kind of idiot are they having work on these machines down there?" Thanks for sticking around.

When I applied I was back to the original error of not being able to find node 1. Except this time clicking refresh isn't bringing up the controller. Any ideas?

Yes, the channel configuration was changed and your link was then invalid. This is normal, but you need to be sure those changes do not negatively impact anything else.

Check your offline file channel configuration, and make sure that it is how you want it. My copy of your file shows DH485, 19.2k, Node 1 for channel 0.

If the PLC is on a network with other devices, it is important that these settings not conflict with another device. All devices on that network must each have the same baud rate in order to communicate with each other and unique node addresses in order to communicate correctly with each other and/or RSLinx...

EDIT: Additionally, the DH485 node that RSLinx occupies must have a unique station (node) number as well.

What driver are you using to talk to the PLC with your PC? And how are you physically connected?

Paul

Last edited:
Are you connecting to the port on the front of the ML1200, or the port on the side?

The port on the front is CH0, which is configurable. Chances are, that my emulator driver changed it to DH485.

Now that you now downloaded and accepted those chagnes, you are temporarily unable to connect with a DF1 driver.

To fix this is simple, there is a pushbutton right next to the mini-din connector on the controller that, when pressed for at least one second, will restore the default comms of DF1 Full duplex.

Do that, then find the processor with yoru DF1 driver, go online again with your program, set the system comms again and save everything.
Paul

You need to put the controller in RUN mode from RSLogix500. If you see Remote Program, then you are online, and the controller is sitting there with no faults waiting for you to start it.

Earlier, when you downloaded to the PLC, if it was in RUN mode, you were prompted to allow the mode change to remote program.

In any case, A/B PLCs must be in program mode in order to receive a program download.

Once you do that, and then blow up your communcations and get kicked offline, the PLC is still sitting there with a brand new program happily waiting in program mode.

Now that you are back online, RSLogix has forgotten all about reminding you to put it back in run mode...It will normally ask permission to put the thing back in RUN mode after the download completes as long as comms aren't broken...

;)

Paul

find the cause of the fault and eliminate it.

we need more information to give any better answer.

Get connected again, and look at the Processor Status Error tab. Read the fault code, and use RSLogix Help to determine what might be causing the problem. If you get stuck, post back here with as much detail as possible.

Paul

A common culprit is illegal MATH operations. Make sure you don't have any possible DIV by zero cases or multiplication overflows. To guard against DIV by zero, precede your DIV (or CPT) box with a NEQ 0 on the denominator address. It is also common to include a line of ladder at the end of your program to reset the Overflow trap bit which faults the processor.

Just a simple OTU S:5/0