step7 newbie timer questions

d x l

Hi all,
1. It seems from my reading that timer addresses in Step7 have to be just these certain addresses in order to get the resolution required, and only a small number of 1ms timer addresses are available. Am I correct? Please tell me if I'm wrong, I really hope I am wrong! Also, the manual shows ladder examples with timers like "T0" but the ranges they list start in the T30's! I'm confused.

2. The ladder examples in the manual show the timer address used with an ordinary N.O. contact in the same way I would use a DN bit with RSLogix, but when I try that in my own Step7 ladder, it gives me the red wavy line. What is wrong?

Background: I was handed a plc program for Micrologix last week and told to turn it into a Step7 program for S7224. The general feeling I get is "we want it done, who cares if you learn about Step7." I am pretty comfortable with straightforward RSLogix programming, nothing intricate. So I've been reading help files and the manual and searching here now and then though I don't like to spend much work time on the web, I'm just an hourly nobody.

I'm not an S7-200 user, so I can't really help that much except to point out a couple of things -

The Siemens software for S7-200s is not called STEP7. It is called MicroWin. You may have more success attracting people with answers if you change the thread title away from "Step7 ..."

The MicroWin software is reckoned to be one of Siemens' better software products! If you're having problems getting this, then wait till you do start on STEP7!

Regards

Ken