Stop CompactLogix from using nonvolatile memory

zacslade

Hi guys,

A vendor recently left us with a machine which has a 5069-L320ER set to load from nonvolatile memory every time it powers up.

We don't do that with any of our other equipment; we keep regular backups, and we like to have our engineers involved every time a change occurs in the code, and we are frequently performing continuous improvement projects which involve updating code in RUN mode, which means we don't have the opportunity to switch the PLC to PROGRAM in order to update the nonvolatile memory.

So, even if the memory becomes corrupt, we don't want it to just load the last saved version, because that might not be the safest or most up-to-date version.

I've never worked with a PLC configured this way. How do I change it so that it just receives code updates in the normal way, storing it in permanent internal memory and maintaining the current revision of the code whenever it is powered off and on again?

Thanks,

Take the SD card out. Those instructions reside on the SD card. When it powers up, it reads the card, if it has the instruction to restore from it, it obliges.

To chage the setting you would have to resave the application to the flash card. Part of that process is where you choose how you want it to act on power-up.
Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to switch to Program mode.

So the easier solution is as dmroeder suggests, just pull the card. Based on your comment, it sounds like you don't really need the card.

OG