Strange behavior of RSLogix CPT instruction

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Micrologix 1400 has the Compute (CPT) instruction available. But my problem is this: The two instructions in the screenshot have mathematically identical expressions, however the first one compiles and the second one doesn't. The second one produces a "Operand sizes don't match" error. Any ideas?

cptinst.JPG

Interesting... were you configured for a Micro 1400 series B?

I don't have RSLogix in front of me right now but I'll mess around with it again tomorrow.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Micrologix 1400 has the Compute (CPT) instruction available. But my problem is this: The two instructions in the screenshot have mathematically identical expressions, however the first one compiles and the second one doesn't. The second one produces a "Operand sizes don't match" error. Any ideas?

Interesting... were you configured for a Micro 1400 series B?

I don't have RSLogix in front of me right now but I'll mess around with it again tomorrow.

I'm using 8.10.00 (CPR 9) which only allows me to select an ML1400 series A. How large is you L10 data file?

The reason ask about the size of the data file is I can get the same error "Operand sizes don't match" if I fail to make the data file large enough to include the elements you use in your ladder.

It appears to be some sort of nesting limit.

If I enter
( ( L9:1 * 10 ) * 10 )

it is fine, but if you do another
( ( L9:1 * 10 ) * 10 ) * 10

it gives the Operand size error again.

So yeah, it is either a bug or a restriction that appears to be undocumented.