Stratix 5700 1783-bms20cgn

driverx

Hi guys,

Happy New Year to you all,
I recently bought the Stratix 5700 cat Num: 1783-BMS20CGN switch.
I want to create a local network, I power it and I waited several hours for it to do its sequence, but still I have the EIP MOD flashing green and the power LED lit solid green.
I want to access this switch with the Setup express but still the same problem, when I press the botton Express setup with clip papers nothing happens as if I did not insert the clip papers.
have some ideas before I contact Rockwell?

thank you.

If the EtherNet/IP MOD lamp is flashing green it means the Ethernet/IP functionality is not enabled. You need to configure this functionality with the CLI (command line interface). For this you need to install a Cisco USB driver. The CLI command is "cip enable"

If the EtherNet/IP MOD lamp is flashing green it means the Ethernet/IP functionality is not enabled. You need to configure this functionality with the CLI (command line interface). For this you need to install a Cisco USB driver. The CLI command is "cip enable"
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much Alfredo for your response,
I have never worked with CLI unfortunately, can you tell me the steps I should follow.
I greatly appreciate your help.

What I remember is having to follow the sequence of procedures very closely to set it up. You'll need a manual and go slowly and thoroughly.

What I remember is having to follow the sequence of procedures very closely to set it up. You'll need a manual and go slowly and thoroughly.
+1

Correct. Are you following the procedures or just winging it?

Here is an example of the procedure

https://www.*************/stratix-5...1,able to configure the IP address and Subnet.

Or, here is the RA manual. Look at Page 6.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/iasimp-qs040_-en-e.pdf

OG

Last edited:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much Alfredo for your response,
I have never worked with CLI unfortunately, can you tell me the steps I should follow.
I greatly appreciate your help.
You're welcome. I may be not the best person to help you on this. I am a very unskilled typist and try to avoid command line interfaces, but I will try. You need to get from the Cisco web site the Windows driver for Stratix. If the Stratix switch is new the USB receptacle will be protected with a metal plate that you need to unscrew. You will also need a terminal software like PuTTY or TeraTerm. Microsoft stopped shipping their terminal software years ago from Windows. Below is a short technote. If you do the settings as I explain you should be able to get the CLI interface working. Good luck. Sorry for late reply. We must have over 12 hours of time difference. Will try to check PLC.net this evening to follow-up on this.

The web interface is usually sufficient for most people. The CLI (Command Line Interface) looks like a DOS prompt. People experienced with managed switches and routers have used this interface for years to configure their hardware. In the past, no one had a web interface. Everything had to be done through the CLI using a specific cable and a dedicated port on the device.

Today most devices have a web interface, and that method allows access to most if not all settings for a device. The CLI is just not something that most people today need to access. And that's a good thing! To get to some of the more complex configurations, you might need to use that method. But for most users, they don't need it anymore.

The software Alfredo mentions are common packages people use to access the CLI. I used PuTTY. But I haven't had to use the CLI in a few years.

OG

OG, I think there is no way to enable the CIP functionality through the web interface. The issue as per driverx's problem description seems to suggest the CIP function is not enabled. I remember having configured a Stratix switch for a customer, and the factory default did not seem to include the CIP functionality enabled. Then years ago Sisco Japan donated a Stratix switch to ODVA Japan, and I was asked to set it u, and again, the CIP function was not enabled by default. All other features, like redundancy (DLR) settings, port settings, port mirroring and the like can, as you point out, be configured through the web interface.

Last edited:
Cisco switches that support EIP do not have it enabled by default. Stratix switches enable it by default.

You don't need EIP enabled to setup the switch using Express Setup. We need to address why he can't access that Express Setup first. Then we can dig into specific settings. The EIP MOD indicator flashing green is normal for Express Setup.

OG

Last edited:
Did not know this difference between the Cisco and the Rockwell brand of the Stratix. Thanks for pointing this out. Also I was not aware of this express setup procedure. I agree with you it is much easier to try the express setup procedure before going into the complications of the CLI.

I used to teach the Rockwell/Cisco courses. It's been ages but I remember a few things. :) Enabling CIP is available from the Express Setup.

OG
Hello,
my problem is that I can't access express setup mode, the web page you just showed is that you have access to express setup.
as I explained at the beginning the starting sequence is not done correctly and that the LED EIP MODE flasing green.
with putty here is what I noticed: see the attached image

Stratix_error.JPG

You're welcome. I may be not the best person to help you on this. I am a very unskilled typist and try to avoid command line interfaces, but I will try. You need to get from the Cisco web site the Windows driver for Stratix. If the Stratix switch is new the USB receptacle will be protected with a metal plate that you need to unscrew. You will also need a terminal software like PuTTY or TeraTerm. Microsoft stopped shipping their terminal software years ago from Windows. Below is a short technote. If you do the settings as I explain you should be able to get the CLI interface working. Good luck. Sorry for late reply. We must have over 12 hours of time difference. Will try to check PLC.net this evening to follow-up on this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thank you so much Alfredo. voir la réponse que j'ai donné à Operaghost