Stratix 5700 and Time Sync

JCFC

Hi to all. We connected a PLC that uses servos and encoders to a Stratix 5700 to nat its address so we can connect it to our administrative network. When we powered up the Stratix, the servos went to fault (LATE CTRL UPDATE). After checking the documentation and the Advanced time sync screen it turns out that the Stratix become the Grandmaster clock, so we decrease the priorities of the Stratix, the PLC becomes the grandmaster and all is working fine. Now we want to connect two more PLCs with their own servos and we want to avoid the same problem we had earlier. Is there a way to tell each PLC/servo to get the time from their own PLC and not from the other PLCs on the network or the stratix 5700? Or is there a way to them to share the stratix as the grandmaster or default to their local PLC in absense of the stratix without going to error?

New Network.png

Give each PLC different priorities. From memory, the PLCs have logic in their firmware to prevent issues with small time changes

With CompactLogix, you cannot turn this function off

We connected a PLC that uses servos and encoders to a Stratix 5700 to nat its address so we can connect it to our administrative network.

Kindly, you mentioned that you connected the switch to the outside network.
I am trying to do the same, using the G1 port with a fixed address.
But the switch is acting as a DHCP server, giving ip addresses to the offices laptops! even after we disabled the dhcp.
Did you have some issues with it?

Kindly, you mentioned that you connected the switch to the outside network.
I am trying to do the same, using the G1 port with a fixed address.
But the switch is acting as a DHCP server, giving ip addresses to the offices laptops! even after we disabled the dhcp.
Did you have some issues with it?
Kataeb, hi. Of course can access the Stritx's web server and disable the DHCP server, and add a static IP address.

Kataeb, hi. I downloaded the MS word file you sent. It shows the configuration of the static IP address and the DHCP function not-checked as you need. But I do not see in this file the screen where you save the configuration and where the switch is reboot. Did you perform these two steps?

Unfortunately I do not have this switch with me, so I cannot be 100% user. It seems it is the correct way of doing it.

Does the switch keep the same IP static configuration? If yes, then there is another DHCP server in that network. You will need to use Wireshark and capture the network packets. For this, setup the PC with dynamic configuration and start wireshark to see the MAC address of the host that is sending the DHCP settings.

Plugging your machine into the administrative network is a bad idea without a plan and network structure.

If you are only interested in EtherNet/IP communications, then you should configure the physical port connected to the admin network to only pass TCP Port 44818 and UDP Port 2222.

This will not allow DHCP to pass between machine network and admin network. You could create other rules as necessary.

Alternatively, you could use a NAT to only pass the devices you are interested in communicating with via the admin network.