Studio 5000 - adjusting the connection request time-out

jakeparsons03

Hello,

I am using a vpn to connect a compact logix controller with a 1734-aent. I can see both in linx but there is a connection issue when I try to add my aent to my io tree. It is a connection timeout error (16#0204). I assume this is because I am using a VPN and it takes a bit longer than expected. Can I adjust that connection time in order to give it a chance?

It's more likely that it's a VPN configuration issue with its ability to transmit UDP traffic at all, rather than a timeout on the connection attempt itself or delayed I/O traffic that triggers a timeout.

0x0204 means that the connection was established, and then the cyclic I/O did not arrive before the timeout expired. That timeout is always 4x the RPI, and in Rockwell devices cannot be changed.

What is the RPI for the 1734-AENT adapter and the attached modules ?

If you can get a tap/mirror port on the PLC side, you'll probably see the connection being established via ordinary TCP/IP connections, then the cyclic UDP traffic failing to cross the VPN.

Have you been able to measure the latency of the VPN, with tools like PING or TCPING ?

Last edited:
100ms ping through a vpn is pretty good. If your using the Ethernet/ip driver, try using just an Ethernet driver, enter the aent IP address and see if you can connect.

An example of what you will see if you capture traffic between the ControlLogix and the 1734-AENT with Wireshark.

Some VPNs won't transmit UDP or multicast data at all, and some need to be properly configured to do so. Start by making sure that you've configured your connection to use Unicast.

EIP_Cxn_Establish.png