Studio 5000 not loading after splash screen

Dariusincj

So I have one program that i'm trying to open, customer wants to add more to it. I go to open, I get the splash screen and then it disappears and nothing opens up. I can open Studio 5000 fine, go to open that way and I get an error. I can open all other programs I've created just fine with no issues. I have no issues with any other Rockwell Software. I've tried and installed all versions of firmware of Studio up to 32 thinking if something is missing it would fix it. My boss can open it just fine on his laptop so it has to do something with mine. I've attached the alarm. Anyone ever see this?

Capture.PNG

What version is the file you're having the issue with? There was one version of Studio 5000 that had exactly the issue you're describing, there were several threads about it when that version first came out a few years ago. I'll try to find the threads - from memory, it was an easy fix.

I've found an older version of the program and it's ver29. But I have asked my boss to open it and let me know what version the latest and greatest is.

Can't find the threads, but the ones I'm thinking of are well pre-v29, so perhaps not the same issue.

I did find a technote on the issue; it relates to version 20 but it's worth a shot just the same:

Technote 516311: RSLogix 5000 Software version 20 does not open in Windows 7
Access: Techconnect

If you don't have a techconnect contract, the gist of it is, make sure you're running the latest version of FactoryTalk Activation Manager, and then try deleting the RNL files

Technote 894947: Deleting the RNL files
Access: Everyone

If that doesn't work, it suggests copying the v19 copy of rsl5kcp.dll into the v20 folder. If you get that far let me know and I'll give more details.

However before you try any of this, my first move would be to repair the FactoryTalk Services Platform. That has often worked for me with unusual issues like this.

I know it is atleast above ver 21 because last time I was able to open the program (about 6 mo ago) it was Studio 5000. I'm running Windows 10.

You could also try getting your boss to open the file, export to L5K, and then have you try to restore the file. That will work if it's a problem with the file; it won't work if it's a problem with a particular version of Studio 5000 on your particular laptop.

Once you find out the version, try opening another file of the same version, or creating a new file of that version. That will again tell you whether it's a issue with the file itself or with the version.

An update: I had my boss send me the .L5K file. I go to Import from main screen and import the file, I got the same results. Splash screen appears for a few seconds, then blank. I found it's a ver 29 on the program. I have no issues creating or opening a different program of ver. 29. So it must be just that one program for my laptop only.

That's very odd. I'd have expected it to be a problem for only that file - in which case I'd have expected an export to L5K and back to fix it - or a problem for all v29 projects. Did you work through the steps in post #4, and did they have any effect?

I'm running the latest and greatest on the software. It is just odd that all my other projects I've created and modified that are ver 29 work just fine. It's almost like there is 1 item in this project I can't open that is preventing it.

No extra AOP, I worked on that project summer of last year and there was no AOI or AOP in it. The plant doesn't have the knowledge to make PLC adjustments and we are the only ones who make changes to it. Guess just one of those things that AB may never figure out.

Have you tried copying the program into the default C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects folder and see if it opens from there?

Possible Solution

Hey there, I had the same problem, I think the cause was that I was working in an extended monitor, after that I tried to open the program but I had a blank screen and not showing the program. What I did just right click on the window in the menu bar, then click Maximize, then it showed the program on my screen. I was very simple but worked after some hour of finding the possible solution to this, I hope it helps someone.

There is no better way to debug your program, than the worst idiot testing it.

Last edited: