Suggest a PLC

itp

Dear Members,

I am new to the PLC field. I am mainly working on microcontroller based embedded systems. I have implemented a distributed control system for an industrial laser with networked microcontrollers (8051) through RS485 serial link. Here various analog and digital I/Os are implemented on separate microcontroller circuits. All these microcontrollers (processing nodes) are coordinated by an industrial PC running Labview.

In this project I have faced lot of problem in rectifying EMI. I heard that PLC's are available for this type of implementation. I need guidance from PLC experts weather I can implement similar kind of system using PLC. My requirement is

16 Channel Digital Input Module - 24VDC
16 Channel Digital Output Module - 24VDC
16 Channel Analog Input Module(16bit) (4-20mA)
2 Channel Analog output Module(16bit) (4-20mA )

1 Channel Pulse output (1Hz to 10kHZ, 10 to 90% dutycycle)

Labview based (or similar) operator interface using a HMI or industrial PC. Kindly suggest a PLC for me.

Thanks and Regards
Itp

You may want to check with Entertron, they have a model that might be able to be configured to do all that.

Entertron "LINK".

Entertron "Elite 2000" "LINK".

If they are not able to supply you with what you are after, try a GE Fanuc 9030 or RX3 rack system. They are considerably cheaper then Allen Bradley, and somewhat easier to program. When compared to Siemens, they are tremendously easier to learn to program.

But then, I know GE a lot better then Siemens.

regards.....kc

Last edited:
There are many PLCs that have those specifications. I'm partial to the Allen Bradley control logix PLCs. However that is a personal preference.

I suggest that you do some checking around to find out what PLCs are easily available in your area (India?) and which ones have local support people. Since there are many very good PLCs on the market that can do what you have listed, go with the one that can provide the best support in your area.

I've worked with the Allen Bradley's to and if you need a big project done i would recommend the Control Logix PLC's they store the most data and are belive it or not cheaper then PLC5's and SLC500's

If you need a price comparision for the different types of PLC's i made one up not long ago i can post for you.

Last edited:
I have to agree with an earlier post, check around in your area and if it is a well supported PLC system that is the one I would consider.

Thanks for your response,

I have contacted a local supplier. They are dealing with telemechaniquie PLCs. I don't know about this PLC. I will be receiving the details in a day or two.

Regards

Itp

Do you really need 16 bit Analog I/O or can you get by with 12 bit?

This may or may not make a differance in your application, but it does make a huge differance in cost.

Hi elevmike,

Thanks for pointing out that. 12 bit Analog I/O will do.

Regards
itp

ITP.JPG