Suggestions for upcoming project

CEI_Josh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'd like people's opinions on which manufacturer of hardware they prefer. We are an aerospace manufacturing facility that does little to no SCADA outside of our ERP / MRP software and Excel. I have a few projects in mind to capture data at different operations of the manufacturing and assembly process. We have Windows terminals at each work center, but I need more feedback from the "digital world" to the operators besides an email. I purchased a Delta Industrial Automation PLC & HMI for testing and learning but I'm running into problems capturing data from barcode readers and also sending the data to SQL databases. I'm not stuck on Delta products, their software is free, and now I see why. Any suggestions with supporting information would be greatly appreciated.

The initial proof of concept project (using PLC / HMI) is:

Enter Employee Number
Scan 2D code on part

Click submit

Time/Date stamp get added in the background
Information is added to SQL database

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

When you ask for an equipment recommendation, you're going to get quite a lot of people recommending their favorites, which are often the ones they're most comfortable with because of their experience. What sort of languages and controllers do *you* have experience with ?

I happen to agree with the Red Lion suggestion at first blush, but want to ask some questions and give some additional input.

I recently did an application using a barcode reader and an Allen-Bradley PanelView Plus. I ran into a couple of hiccups that made it less smooth and I would like so I looked up some videos and technotes about doing the same thing with Red Lion. To my surprise, their barcode input methods had specifically addressed two of the problems I had; input object focus and enter key delay.

It sounds like you have a 2-D symbol reader of some kind, probably with a USB connection. What exact model, and what kind of symbols are you reading ?

Do your employees have to enter their Employee Number on a keyboard or touchscreen, or do you want to scan an employee ID badge with that 2-D reader, or have employees swipe an ID card through an RF proximity reader ?

Where does the SQL server live; do you have an enterprise SQL server with tables you've already set up that accepts remote queries and commands ? Is it Microsoft SQL Server, or something else ?

Do you want to have a dedicated HMI touchscreen, or would a browser-based HMI that the operators can open on that Windows workstation be more convenient ? Some Red Lion HMIs have a "virtual HMI" feature, and some are entirely headless (the DataStation and FlexEdge).

Red Lion has a few SQL-related features but not an extensive feature set. It's largely limited to SQL Sync, which does bulk upload of log files into an SQL Server, and SQL Query, which only does SELECT commands to pull data from an SQL server and put it into Red Lion tags. It does not do UPDATE or INSERT, which it sounds like you need. You can have a look at seeing if you can log the data you want, then set up SQL Sync to basically grab batches of it and put it into the SQL Server.

What source do you have for an accurate Time value to your automation system ? Would the workstations and SQL server, and/or the automation device you select, have sufficient access to the Internet to query the time from pool.ntp.org ? Or do you have a server or gateway or other device in your system that you rely on to keep time ?

What do you intend to do with this logged data about the parts ?

What other sorts of processes and equipment do you anticipate adding automation to ?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

When you ask for an equipment recommendation, you're going to get quite a lot of people recommending their favorites, which are often the ones they're most comfortable with because of their experience. What sort of languages and controllers do *you* have experience with ?

I happen to agree with the Red Lion suggestion at first blush, but want to ask some questions and give some additional input.

I recently did an application using a barcode reader and an Allen-Bradley PanelView Plus. I ran into a couple of hiccups that made it less smooth and I would like so I looked up some videos and technotes about doing the same thing with Red Lion. To my surprise, their barcode input methods had specifically addressed two of the problems I had; input object focus and enter key delay.

It sounds like you have a 2-D symbol reader of some kind, probably with a USB connection. What exact model, and what kind of symbols are you reading ?

Do your employees have to enter their Employee Number on a keyboard or touchscreen, or do you want to scan an employee ID badge with that 2-D reader, or have employees swipe an ID card through an RF proximity reader ?

Where does the SQL server live; do you have an enterprise SQL server with tables you've already set up that accepts remote queries and commands ? Is it Microsoft SQL Server, or something else ?

Do you want to have a dedicated HMI touchscreen, or would a browser-based HMI that the operators can open on that Windows workstation be more convenient ? Some Red Lion HMIs have a "virtual HMI" feature, and some are entirely headless (the DataStation and FlexEdge).

Red Lion has a few SQL-related features but not an extensive feature set. It's largely limited to SQL Sync, which does bulk upload of log files into an SQL Server, and SQL Query, which only does SELECT commands to pull data from an SQL server and put it into Red Lion tags. It does not do UPDATE or INSERT, which it sounds like you need. You can have a look at seeing if you can log the data you want, then set up SQL Sync to basically grab batches of it and put it into the SQL Server.

What source do you have for an accurate Time value to your automation system ? Would the workstations and SQL server, and/or the automation device you select, have sufficient access to the Internet to query the time from pool.ntp.org ? Or do you have a server or gateway or other device in your system that you rely on to keep time ?

What do you intend to do with this logged data about the parts ?

What other sorts of processes and equipment do you anticipate adding automation to ?
Hi Ken,
First thanks for taking the time to ask such relevant questions.

Experience - My background is CNC machines. I've been repairing CNC machines (Matsurra, Okuma, Haas, DMG Mori, Makino, and a few others) for about 10 years. Most of that experience did not include getting into ladder logic or the back end of the machine programs. To answer your question about experience with regard to PLC programming, the answer is next to none. I was able to setup communication between my PC to Delta PLC and HMI. I was able to program one logic instruction to turn on a lamp with a button on the HMI. I have no clue about the meaning of bits / bytes / registers, internal memory, internal parameter, or tags.

Code Scanners - We currently have various handheld and fixed models from Keyence - SR-700HA, SR-X100W, HR-X100, HR-X100WB, BT-A500GA. We also have various Amazon specials, a Honeywell Granit 1981i, but I'm looking at COGNEX products for future installations.
Employee ID - We currently have to type in our ID number to data collections applications. I would however prefer the RF prox reader.

SQL - I'm not sure of the exact details, but we do have at least one SQL Server running for our MRP / CRM / ERP software (Epicor). Our IT department is difficult on a good day to interact with so I'm looking at a Cloud based SQL service. I do have a LAMP stack running Turnkey Linux with MariaDB and Adminer web interface. I have no preference and if a local instance is best I can make it happen.

Operator Interaction - My vision was a dedicated HMI touchscreen at each work station, but a browser-based HMI sound interesting and I'd like to learn more. One of the complaints from operators is the windows lock after 15 min which is a restriction I can't over come. For that reason a dedicated HMI "sounded better".

SQL Sync - That sounds like an extra layer of complexity that might not be helpful at this stage of my learning / project implementation.

Time - All systems have access to the internet. I can check with IT about local options for referencing accurate time.

Logged Data - My vision is to create production graphs, charts, SPC, PFMEA, training matrix, and real time factory floor overviews.

Future Systems - After a successful proof of concept with this first simple project, my goal is to roll out very similar installations to our full assembly lines. After that I would like to incorporate this model to collecting work in progress data at machining work centers, and in-process inspection data. After that I'd like to work on a building automation project that would help maintain our electrical, HVAC, plant air, access control and security systems.

I'm sure I missed a lot of information, but I think this is a good start. If you would like to check out our company, please visit Competitive Engineering And just to be clear, I did not have anything to do with the creation of that website. The images are dated and we have since replaced about 14MM of capital equipment in the past 4 years.

I would use Net Studio with an Ingear driver
I think you will find most current systems are developed in Net Studio
if you look at the splash screens of both Studio 5000 and CCW are both developed in Net studio
you can install the final completed application on any windows based computer so you can copy and store your data in most any data format

Thanks for that context and detail !

What you need isn't really the domain of traditional PLCs, even the ones with some IIOT functionality. CNCs do CNC stuff, building management is a whole 'nother discipline and set of protocols and hardware, SPC and PFMEA and OEE and such are industries of their own.

Obviously, looking ahead to what you really want to output as production data should guide your choices, as well as digging deep into what those CNC tools expose to the network or your ERP tools.

If someone came to me with these kinds of requirements and I had my own skillset to start with, I would probably steer away from my usual Rockwell Kinetix/Logix platform that I use for discrete machinery automation. And because they don't directly support simple SQL Inserts, I think that Red Lion DataStations are not the first choice because you already have to do a workaround with SQL Sync for your first project.

You say you've set up a Turnkey Linux instance with the LAMP stack.

How's your appetite for Javascript or Python ? Are you comfortable enough with Linux to run some install scripts ? Do you have any Raspberry Pi's around ? Have you ever heard of CoDeSys, or Wago controllers and I/O ?

Often on this forum when people ask the general "what SCADA should I use ?" question without explaining their needs, the enthusiastic recommendation is Inductive Automation Ignition. It's a very powerful and reliable SCADA that is most successful in client/server architectures with dozens or hundreds of clients and thousand of data tags. It's Java-based so it's cross-platform, the client is browser-launched, and it's amazingly well integrated into SQL databases. In fact the company's original software offering was called SQL Bridge, which is still the roaring database furnace at the heart of Ignition.

Ignition is easy to get started with. You could install their non-commercial Maker Edition, or the whole thing (and just restart every few hours while you tinker) on that Linux box.

And while you're at it, you could install Node-Red, so you have a little low-code way to do IIOT-like functions that don't really require a PLC.

And then browse Wago's controller catalog and have a look at the little CC100 and the PFC200 family, and look at how their physical I/O might connect to the sorts of things you want to control and monitor that aren't CNC workcells: pumps, compressors, power monitors, etc. I mention Wago not because they're the best PLC company in the industry, but because they're veterans at building reliable distributed I/O and they have embraced openness to the extent that they sell little embedded Linux boxes that also run CoDeSys PLC runtimes and Node-Red.

Hi Ken,
Sorry, I've been busy moving and installing machines in our plant. I looked into your suggestions and I like the Node-Red option especially for a beginner like myself. I also have a meeting with Wago tomorrow to talk about their IIoT box.
I think now I have some basic questions about PLC / HMI design. I keep going in circles looking online and I figured it was time to ask the experts.
I have a screen on the HMI where the operator will scan their ID badge and the Serial # (2d code), then I have a "Submit" button. I have the 2 user input boxes linked to two separate Tags on the PLC.
My question is; after the numbers are input does the "Submit" button through the ladder logic actually write the data to the Tags, then clears the input boxes? Am I on the right track or did I just go off the deep end?

The functionality of a Numeric Input probably differs a little between HMI platforms, but in general they write the entered value to the associated PLC tag/variable/register when you press an "enter" button in a keypad/keyboard popup, or on a physical keyboard or keypad.

The tag to which the "Submit" button writes would probably be programmed to then do something with the values that are loaded into the ID_Badge or Symbol_Code variables (whatever you've called them or however they're addressed in your platform), in the PLC code.

Your HMI might have the ability to disable the Submit button object until values are entered into the ID Badge and Symbol Code fields, or even to validate that the correct format has been entered into each. Or your PLC logic might check and validate that, maybe even triggering a warning or error indicator if the operator fails to enter one of the fields before hitting Submit, or if the values are swapped, or if one of them is invalid.

Since it is a new project, I think that at first it would have to work with a database in the cloud, for example Microsoft's Azure.

I haven't tried it but sia-connect says they can connect almost any PLC to that database, apparently through an interleaved computer.

First I'd like to thank you guys for helping me learn PLCs (probably the hard way). Please let me know where I'm going wrong and help me learn to fix my mistakes.
I have attached a few screenshots of where I'm at.
HMI:
User inputs Employee Number. (I'd like to have them scan their badge but something funny is happening when there are two barcode fields.)
User scans "Actuator Serial Number".
User presses "Submit" and data is sent to a database (cloud or local), and screen is cleared.

PLC:
Please ignore the Test, switch1, and lamp1 Tags.
What am I doing wrong here?
I have no real idea of what to put in the ladder logic.

Attachments

• HMI_1.jpg
    HMI_1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 11
  • PLC_Tags.jpg
    PLC_Tags.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PLC_Main.jpg
    PLC_Main.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 11