Switching from VFD/Motor to Servo to reduce cycle time. (Siemens)(Video)

Looks like you can save a second and a half at least on the return rotation if you start it sooner.
I see the two limit switches on the turntable. Where are the part detection switches on the downstream conveyor?

I was thinking the same thing, looks like it's waiting until the wheel on the receiving conveyor pops up before it begins rotating back.
Could this sensor be moved/modified so that as soon as the board is clear of the rotating conveyor, the return rotation commences?

I'll have to reply deeper tomorrow evening... I'm preparing right now for tomorrow's gig. But I have to say, GaryS has something I need to look into. As much as I'd love to design my first servo solution, being able to do a 90 degree turn conveyor would be the most time and cost efficient solution. I don't know if the weight is an issue, or if there is wear and tear to the underside of the board. The boards are important, and they clean them every cycle and flip them over (with automation) to extend their life. It's hard to beat a straight-through solution, though. I'll have to discuss it with the plant manager and see if they've looked into it already.

JRW... the VFD is a G120, communicating over Profibus.

I haven't investigated all the I/O involved in the application yet, ...so far I've been busy on other projects. I did find a sensor wheel with the maintenance manager that needs an extension welded to the frame to change it's location. And there are probably a couple of little changes we could make to shave a couple of seconds off. If a 19.8 second cycle time shrinks to a 16 second time, they'd celebrate!

Heres my take on it..

Use a CU250S 6SL3246-0BA22-1PA0 (might be able to mount on existing power module depending on what you have)

This is a DP profibus control unit with the basic positioner.
You just need an encoder (wires back to the control unit on the drive) either on the motor or pivot point.

The existing motor stays. Its an easy setup

epos.jpg

JRW, Thanks for that! I'll be talking with my Siemens drive tech rep to get his thoughts on that. I think it has possibilities, and I can try it without a lot of disruption to their production.

Stay tuned.

Sure thing
Ask him for a telegram 111 function block for step7 classic.
If he doesn’t have one let me know. I will send it