Tag consideration for RSView32- How?

ckchew666

Hi,

I heard from Rockwell that RSView32 count only physical tags, not like wonderware or others which count physical and internal tags.

my question :

1) What is internal tags?

2) If RSView32 only consider physical tags, does that means, if my AB system has 140 IO points, I only require to get 150 tags RSView32?

Hope someone can clarify me. Thx. :)

1. RSView32 defines physical tags as data locations being scanned in a PLC. These locations can be analog or digital values. This is not the same as the I/O count of the PLC, which is quite different. The RSView tag count and the PLC I/O count may be related, ie a large I/O count will likely have more RSView tags, but one can be significantly larger or smaller than the other.

For example a motor device may only have 4 I/O points, but RSView may have only 2, or as many as 20 tags relating to it...it all depends on how much functionality you want to put into RSView.

2. Internal tags, or memory tags are data locations within the RSView tag database that are written to by internal Derived functions, ie the result of internal RSView commands. They can be quite useful for a wide range of purposes, and as you stated, memory tags do not contribute to the total physical tag licence count.

PhilipW said:
1. RSView32 defines physical tags as data locations being scanned in a PLC. These locations can be analog or digital values. This is not the same as the I/O count of the PLC, which is quite different. The RSView tag count and the PLC I/O count may be related, ie a large I/O count will likely have more RSView tags, but one can be significantly larger or smaller than the other.

For example a motor device may only have 4 I/O points, but RSView may have only 2, or as many as 20 tags relating to it...it all depends on how much functionality you want to put into RSView.

2. Internal tags, or memory tags are data locations within the RSView tag database that are written to by internal Derived functions, ie the result of internal RSView commands. They can be quite useful for a wide range of purposes, and as you stated, memory tags do not contribute to the total physical tag licence count.

Philip,

Thx for ur prompt reply.

So, we can says that (based on ur motor example), if the RSView32 wants to get an Integer (N7:0) or Bit (B3:0/0) from the PLC, it's consider a TAG as well? If yes, the below for RSView32 & Wonderware or others are correct:

I:1/0 - 1 tag
O:2/0 - 1 tag
N7:10 - 1 tag
B3:5/1 - 1 tag
F8:99 - 1 tag
S:42 - 1 tag

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you are correct.

Both Wonderware and RSView32 have some tricks to turn an analog word tag into 16 internal digital tags, but this kind of thing is usually more trouble than it is worth.

On the same topic though, you may be interested to know that the new generation of RSView ME/SE do not use tag count for their licencing, instead they use the number of screens. In general I find this much more flexible and better value method.

PhilipW said:
Yes you are correct.

Both Wonderware and RSView32 have some tricks to turn an analog word tag into 16 internal digital tags, but this kind of thing is usually more trouble than it is worth.

On the same topic though, you may be interested to know that the new generation of RSView ME/SE do not use tag count for their licencing, instead they use the number of screens. In general I find this much more flexible and better value method.

Philip,

Thx for ur info, so Wonderware and others (except RSView32) which consider physical & internal tags means if we use the device memory tag, it's consider a tag count?

Yeah, RSViewME/SE count in terms of pages, but according to the internal info, there is a tag limitation tho`, i'm not how true is this, but this is the information I've got from a few Rockwell guy! The limitation is 5000 tags no matter how many display you are going to, but it's more than enuff for small player like me :)

In RSView ME the 5000 limit is on device tags. Remember you also have memory (internal) tags.

But the biggest key is you don't HAVE to use tags. You can directly reference the PLC address on your control (pushbutton for example) without needing to create a tag. So you can go totally "tagless" if you wish.

OG

OG,

"But the biggest key is you don't HAVE to use tags. You can directly reference the PLC address on your control (pushbutton for example) without needing to create a tag. So you can go totally "tagless" if you wish." <---- this one apply to RSView32 as well?

Philip,

Suppose I had an old RSView32 system with 300 tags, 280 used, and for a modification to add a diagnostic and troubleshooting routine, I need about 40 more digital on/off tags, and the customer is a poor tightwad.

Can I use two tags, one being a Counter (0 to 40), the other a Binary type, say Tag "TEST_INPUT" =B3/100? Then every 50 miliseconds, I look at a different bit in the PLC. On the "Logic & Control, Derived tags" screen, using the IF-THEN-ELSE expression, I create 40 internal memory tags that look at the same Test_INPUT tag but at a different time, when the Counter tag is equal to the same number used in the PLC, like this:

If Counter=1, Then Elev_Air_Pressure = TEST_INPUT Else Elev_Air_Pressure

Has anyone ever tried something similar to this? Maybe I can multiplex it faster than 1/20 second. The PLC program max scan time is only 9 miliseconds, so I could probably step it every 15 ms instead of every 50 ms.

Last edited:
You can do something like you suggest or you can simply write some ladder to pack your 40 digital tags into 3 analog words and bring them into RSView as 3 tags. You can then either unpack them using a Derived Tag model (if you want to generate alarms from them or log them) or simply use bitwise AND in the expression editor attached to display objects if you just want to show their value on a screen

Phil is right when he says
this kind of thing is usually more trouble than it is worth
but I'd change "usually" to "always" .

NOP,

"....simply use bitwise AND in the expression editor attached to display objects.."

Could you expand on this, please? I do not know how to do a bitwise AND in RSView32. How do you tell RSView which bit in an integer word to AND with another tag. An example would help tremendously.

Haven't got RSView on my home PC (just not dedicated enough I guess) so I can't post an actual example but it goes like this:

Let's say that you simply want to make an icon visible when bit 4 of an integer (can't do this with Floating Point BTW) is true. R-click on the icon, select Animation--Visibility and the animation Tab Box opens. Make sure that the "Visible when True" Radio Button is checked, press the "Expression" button to open the Expression Editor. Press the "Tag" button to browse for the tag whose bits you're interested in, press the "Bitwise Maths" button and select Bitwise AND and then enter 10000. (because you don't have to enter leading zeroes). That should do it.

I'd still cough up the extra for the higher Tag count though.....:)

Thanks, NOP and Philip,

It is simpler than I imagined. I will try that method, if my multiplexer doesn,t work. Now I have about 100 bits being brought in with two real tags. I decided to bring in all the I/O for the complete Bag Palletizer while I was working on it. Soomer or later somebody will want some additional stuff. I finished the program and will test it Monday, if the creek doesn't rise too high in the meantime.

help

hey any body can help me to make my slider automatic movement of 0 to 100 in 10 seconds without using plc in rsview 32 and any body will please explane me how string type tag exactly works