talk to Flex I/O on different network

I really don't want to turn this into a 'basics of IP addressing' thread, because there are many thousands of books, websites, and classes that discuss that topic in detail.

But I'll try to clarify a couple of points.

Multicast I/O connections can only be established when the controller and the I/O adapter are on the same IP subnet. In simplified terms, this means that they both have a "192.168.1.x" address, or they both have a "10.1.1.x" address.

An I/O connection can be established using Unicast between a controller and an adapter on different IP subnets if there is a properly configured router connecting those subnets. The router will forward the packet to the remote network, and forward the reply. That's what routers do.

If another 1756-ENxT module is available and can be installed in the chassis with the ControlLogix and connected to the 10.1.1.x subnet, that is the simplest way to solve the original problem, because the controller and the adapter will be on the same IP subnet.

This doesn't mean it's the only way to solve the problem, or that it's the best way to solve the problem.

....If another 1756-ENxT module is available and can be installed in the chassis with the ControlLogix and connected to the 10.1.1.x subnet, that is the simplest way to solve the original problem, because the controller and the adapter will be on the same IP subnet.

Bingo! That's exactly what the OP said he was going to do in post #1. I don't understand how this thread devolved. Angi, it would appear you are sidetracked on Produce and Consume and that is leading the discussion down the wrong path.

Add the new ENxT module in the I/O Config and then add the remote modules to that module. That is all that is needed to create the Produce/Consume connection. No MSG, no creating produce/consume tags. Once you add the new ENxT module then the CLX will be on the same network as the Flex I/O (while also being connected to other networks as well).

OG

Last edited: