eebads2391

I was taught :

In PLC terms the Pc / laptop could be described as being
at the " top of the stairs "

The Pc would therefore be uploaded to from the plc
And , the pc would download the program to Plc

Slightly off topic scenario
Which would be the correct terminology
If i were programming a 2 way radio, would you upload the radio settings to laptop or download the settings to the laptop

When utilizing the PLC programming software, you are "seeing through the eyes of the PLC" instead of the PC. This confuses people around the down/upload terminology. Through the eyes of the PLC, you upload the program to the PC, and download from it as well. You may be using the PC to accomplish this, but you are seeing things from the perspective of the PLC.

Yep it can be confusing even some IDE's have them swapped over, I always consider the PC (programming IDE) to be if you like the master so download to PLC upload from PLC, But perhaps a better terminology should be PLC > PC & PC > PLC or Write to PLC or Read from PLC.

I was told once that you visualize having the laptop sitting on top of the PLC in the cabinet. That stuck with me.

Worked with Payphones for a while (remember those?) and those were the opposite. Uploaded to the phone and downloaded to the PC. To my eye that makes more sense.

To the original post: I've worked with Elpro radios, which may be similar to what you are working with. They use the same perspective as PLC/PC programming. The radio uploads it's configuration to the PC, the PC downloads saved changes to the radio. Double check with your radio manufacturer.

When I used to run PLC training sessions I stressed the fact that different brands might use the terms upload and download to mean different things and that you need to make sure you know which direction you're transferring the data. It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with the terminology used by the manufacturer. You have to adapt yourself to their choice.

you are the server, the PLC is the client. -server Uploads from the client, client downloads from the server

you are the client, the Web in the server. - server uploads from the client, client downloads from the server.

or...

Download - Down - Pushing down.. Push the program in!

Upload - Up - Pull up.. Pull the program out!