The best solution

plc_user1973

Hello all,

what is the best solution to this problem. If a piece of equipment comes with a panel box containing all the motor starters(120V coils) that operates the machine attached to the machine. The wiring is 3 phase 480V. All that is needed is to provide the 3 phase power to it. My service is 3phase 480V Delta which drops to this panel box with a ground wire from the service to the panel box.

The control panel is several feet away from this machine and the wiring is through flexible conduit to the panel box on the machine. Several buttons on the control panel start and stop the starters in the panel on the machine. The control panel gets it power from a 120VAC 20 amp breaker from a breaker panel near the service entrance. It has its own ground wire from the breaker panel. Is there a problem with ground loops when this occurs? I mean we have several grounding points. One, on the machine and one on the control panel. Is this a problem? Should all the grounds run back to the machine where a ground wire returns from every motor on the machine. Every motor has its own ground plus the ground wire coming from the 3 phase service bonded in the panel on the machine. Or should all the grounds be terminated in the control panel where a PLC is located? To me it seems there is a potential for ground loops because of possible different ground potentials.

Any advice is appreciated.

I think in that situation I would bond the control panel to the machine. You say it's only a few feet away whereas the 120 for the panel comes from a disance. Ground loops are usually only a problem for signal cables e.g. a thermocouple that is grounded in the field and also in the panel.
I once had trouble with RS-232 between two solidly grounded panels a few feet apart until I bonded them together.
Have you considered mounting a 480/120 transformer in the machines panel to power the PLC killing two birds with one stone?

Last edited: