Thin client as "monitor" for HMI/SCADA ?

If you loose a connection the only way I have found to reconnect is to re-power the unit, it will reconnect fine after.

There is a really annoying task-bar that always seems to be in the wrong position on the screen so I always disable it

That is one of the functions on the task bar... it allows you to re-establish a connection if it drops out.

That is one of the functions on the task bar... it allows you to re-establish a connection if it drops out.
The issue of how the RDP or VNC displays in full-screen mode is also important to me.

It is most important to me that there is as little as possible from the RDP or VNC viewer that interferes with the operation of the remote PC.
I definitely do not want a floating taskbar that displays always (or half-hidden like VMware's taskbar).
At the most, I can accept that a menu or taskbar can be called up by means of a keyboard hotkey.