TIA Older Versions

woodward_uk

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi there

I'm fairly new to Siemens TIA, we have purchased a Step 7 and WINCC (V16) Professional license and have completed a couple of small projects.

We recently visited a job where the client needs some PLC/SCADA modifications, they are running TIA V15.1, our license is for V16.

Can we modify and save the software changes in V15.1 format using V16? I don't really want to upgrade the existing software version to V16 as another company also look after the plant and they still use V15.1.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks.

No, there is no reverse compatibility (!).
But you can install previous versions in parallel. The license also releases all previous versions. So a license for V16 also releases V15.1

No, there is no reverse compatibility (!).
But you can install previous versions in parallel. The license also releases all previous versions. So a license for V16 also releases V15.1

I have seen other people’s machines where they have multiple versions of TIA installed and yet whenever I’ve tried it I can’t get another version to install. It’s been a while since I tried as I just accepted it and have multiple VM’s with different versions on but I can’t go on like that forever. I thought I’d read that you couldn’t install different versions of WinCC but different versions of TIA would be ok?

You can install multiple versions of TIA, incl. STEP7 and WinCC.
But as far as I know, only one version of WinCC Runtime can be installed.
So you can only simulate one version of the WinCC HMI.

Your experience may vary.
I have had problems with V13 installed in parallel with V14 and V15.
Today I only have V15 and V15.1 in parallel.
Some people have more versions in parallel.

Last edited:
You can install multiple versions of TIA, incl. STEP7 and WinCC.
But as far as I know, only one version of WinCC Runtime can be installed.
So you can only simulate one version of the WinCC HMI.

Your experience may vary.
I have had problems with V13 installed in parallel with V14 and V15.
Today I only have V15 and V15.1 in parallel.
Some people have more versions in parallel.

My understanding is you can only have one version of one SCADA class HMI package installed at a time: WinCC v7, WinCC Professional (which is just v7 reskinned for Portal), and Unified. My understanding is that they tie into a DB in a dumb way that would cause conflicts with more than one.

The rule of thumb is to not install WinCC Pro unless you really know you need it.

Everything else (including WinCC Basic/Comfort/Adv, all Step 7, Startdrive, etc) support multiple versions in parallel.

I notice now that woodward_uk writes
we have purchased a Step 7 and WINCC (V16) Professional license
I thought that it was Step7 Pro with WinCC Comfort or WinCC Advanced.
If it is actually WinCC Professional, then ignore what I wrote.

I notice now that woodward_uk writes

If it's any consolation, I wrote what I wrote and I didn't even see that in his initial post.

That's what a 2 month old and no sleep gets ya, I guess....