TIA PORTAL - Download to remote device

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!
I have a s7-1200 and a comfort panel connected to a **** cosy. I've been able to download to both devices for a while but now out of nowhere it just crashed and I can't download anything. Both devices was set to "set IP directly at device". I changed the PLC to the PLC IP in the project and that worked to download to the PLC but the HMI is still not working. I can ping the HMI no problem, and I can access it through the webserver and smartaccess VNC. But it doesn't let me download to it. It drives me crazy! Anyone have a thought?

EDIT: This also happened in relation to that when I should compile the project it said "cannot find project path". I reinstalled TIA portal but that didn't do it so I had to copy my device to a new one and now I can compile but not download.
/Tim

Last edited:
Here is a couple of informative windows in this printscreen:
The network driver in TIA portal is the one used by the VPN, and as seen it is working with a VNC player. So clearly the HMI has connection to the laptop.
/Tim

Last edited:
I have the same problem if I want to load HMI through company network and IP set from DHCP.
I can ping hmi, perform backup with prosave but no download.

Some random thoughts. Have you tried selecting 'Show accessible devices' rather than 'Show all compatible devices'.

Then in eCatcher, click on the e.W.O.N. and select 'Properties' and then 'Configure LAN Devices and Firewall', are there any limits set in the communication protocols allowed and what is the Firewall set to.

I did have a problem where all my eCatcher connection attempts suddenly failed, after much web searching I found that some bank security software called Rapport had updated itself and screwed things up.

Some random thoughts. Have you tried selecting 'Show accessible devices' rather than 'Show all compatible devices'.

Then in eCatcher, click on the e.W.O.N. and select 'Properties' and then 'Configure LAN Devices and Firewall', are there any limits set in the communication protocols allowed and what is the Firewall set to.

I did have a problem where all my eCatcher connection attempts suddenly failed, after much web searching I found that some bank security software called Rapport had updated itself and screwed things up.

Your first suggestion actually worked. But I had to use the third option "search devices with the same ip adresses" .

Thanks alot

/Tim

"Show accessible" and "show compatible" are based on a DCP scan, which is layer 2 (MAC address), and therefore doesn't work across most VPN protocols which are almost always Layer 3 (IP address).

"Search for same IP address" skips the scan, and goes right to checking the IP.

Alternately, you could use the Ethernet download channel for the HMI instead of the PN/IE channel. You'd need to change that both in Portal AND on the physical HMI.

Strange thing is that I've been able to download to the HMI (without the extended download to device window) for a month and this just suddenly started a couple a days ago :/

Strange thing is that I've been able to download to the HMI (without the extended download to device window) for a month and this just suddenly started a couple a days ago :/

My experience is that Portal shows you the extended download window for the first download when you open Portal, and after that if comms fail.

Is it possible you went for a month without closing Portal or rebooting your computer (I guess I usually hibernate mine, not a true shutdown).

No I have shutdown and powered up the computer several times and everytime I use TIA portal it has just connected directly when I pressed "online" or Download. It's like it sensed that I had communication to the PLC/HMI

No I have shutdown and powered up the computer several times and everytime I use TIA portal it has just connected directly when I pressed "online" or Download. It's like it sensed that I had communication to the PLC/HMI

Huh, glad it works better for you than me :)

one of the more recent versions introduced default connection settings. I never used them, cause I bounce between two interfaces often. Maybe that's related?

Hello
See the attached steps to define TIA and E**ON to talk :)

In TIA:
1. in PLC device configuration→ Properties→Ethernet addresses
check "use router" and put the E**ON's IP.
2. in PLC device configuration→ Properties→ protection scroll down to the hidden "connection mechanisms" area and check the
"Permit access with PUT/GET..."
3. In E***ON web terminal go to IO Server config→S73&400 Edit
Enable TOPICs A and B
Put the PLC & HMI IPs as following "ISOTCP,IP.IP.IP.IP,03.01" (e.g. "ISOTCP, 192.168.102.103,03.01).

When connected via ecatcher you won't be able to go ONLINE to the HMI, only download (don't try to "show all compatible devices"- it will not show up there).

To see a live simulation of the HMI connected to the VPN PLC you need to channel the communication to the TAP adapter:
windows c"control panel" → "Set Pg/PC interface" and select the "TAP-Windows Adapter" (TCPIP.1)

BR

Last edited: