timer relay woes

I would have the timer control an interposing electro-mechanical relay and that relay turn on the power to the HMI. And not a ice-cube relay, but an octal base relay..

I'm curious, why do you recommend a octal base relay instead of a ice cube relay. Don't they both just have a form C contact inside with the same switching capacity?

I'm curious, why do you recommend a octal base relay instead of a ice cube relay. Don't they both just have a form C contact inside with the same switching capacity?

To draw down leakage current the octal relay has a larger coil, where an ice-cube relay's smaller coil will not be enough.

I use the wording "will" not be enough from experience trying them for this purpose and having to go larger more than once. Once in a while they may work, but too many times not - so I use octal relays only now.

I use a similar (Omron) multifunction timer for my 12v lights in my barn, set for 1/2 hour, so some dummy doesn't leave the lights on and completely drain the (solar) battery.

I have it set for INTERVAL:

--Light switch----Timer coil---
--] [--------Lights--

It's a maintained switch, and if it times out, I just turn it off and back on,,, easy / peasy !

I use a similar (Omron) multifunction timer for my 12v lights in my barn, set for 1/2 hour, so some dummy doesn't leave the lights on and completely drain the (solar) battery.

I have it set for INTERVAL:

--Light switch----Timer coil---
--] [--------Lights--

It's a maintained switch, and if it times out, I just turn it off and back on,,, easy / peasy !

I have done similar for my solar powered lights, but I set the timer to OneShot and have a doorbell button to start it.

To draw down leakage current the octal relay has a larger coil, where an ice-cube relay's smaller coil will not be enough.

I use the wording "will" not be enough from experience trying them for this purpose and having to go larger more than once. Once in a while they may work, but too many times not - so I use octal relays only now.

I dont see how this is a leakage current issue.